Give life, support the arts

It’s a Friday night in Fresno and teenagers across the city are debating over their evening plans. At times, it can seem like Fresno offers few social and date options for those under 21.

The standard night out consisting of dinner and a movie is augmented by few other options. While activities like bowling and skating are fun, you can only go so far with them before you long for something new.

Let’s face it–Fresno does not offer much in the way of teen entertainment.

But that’s only at first glance. Beyond teens’ typical Riverpark hangouts, there actually lies a wealth of activity waiting to be found.

Even though it may not be the most prominent thing about Fresno, there is a thriving arts scene here. The Fresno Philharmonic, Fresno Grand Opera and the Fresno Ballet all put on concerts throughout the year that are well worth the money.

Student tickets to the Philharmonic cost $10, same as the price of tickets to a night movie at Edwards Cinema. Opera and ballet tickets are a little pricier, but you definitely get your money’s worth.

An evening at an arts performance serves a dual purpose. Not only do you gain a night of entertainment, but you are also supporting art in the Valley with your ticket fee. For example, the Fresno Ballet is currently facing the threat of closure.

During their annual Nutcracker performance in December, it was announced that they would have to close next year if they did not receive more donations. What a loss to Fresno this would be, but, since every ticket sale helps, a night at the ballet could actually be a lifesaver for them, as well as entertaining for you.

The Fresno Ballet will be performing the Cinderella ballet in the spring. Or, if classical music is not your thing, why not attend an in-studio performance of their Pink Floyd ballet?

Maybe you could try exploring one of the many theaters in town. Roger Rocka’s puts on musicals, and their ticket price includes a dinner at the theater. The Good Company Players put on outstanding plays in their Second-Space theater, which offers an intimate setting as the front row is literally on the stage.

Traveling acts pass through town on an almost nightly basis. Check out the “Life” section of the Fresno Bee for information on these world-class performances

As an alternative to a sit-down performance, why not make an excursion to the Fresno Metropolitan Museum? First-rate art exhibitions pass through a few times a year, and ticket prices are low. Other, smaller Fresno art museums are out there; why not just take an afternoon and explore? Again, your money goes to a great cause.

So, next time you’re sitting at home, moaning that there is nothing to do, try exploring the local arts scene. Why not step out of your normal routine and try something a little out of the ordinary?