License requirements tax teenage drivers

For many high school students, turning 16 marks a time of unprecedented freedom and independence from parents. At this time, teenagers often begin to date and complete the required steps for a driver’s license.

Attaining a driver’s license can take a long time due to the many requirements. However, a thorough plan can help to facilitate the process and get students on the road with minimal heartache.

The following prerequisites must be completed in order to earn a driver’s license:

? Students must first take driver’s education, either in an actual classroom or through an online course.

? After completing driver’s education and enrolling in behind-the-wheel training, students are eligible to set up an appointment at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to take the learner’s permit test. The test consists of 45 questions; students must miss no more than eight questions to pass.

? If a student fails the learner’s permit test, he or she can schedule another appointment after a one-week interval and attempt it again. The learner’s permit enables holders to practice driving with an adult who is 25 years or older and in a position to guide the students’ driving.

? Before students can legally practice driving with a learner’s permit, they must finish the first of three behind-the-wheel training lessons.

? Students must hold a learner’s permit for at least six months, finish all behind-the-wheel training lessons and drive for 50 hours ? 10 of which must be at night ? in order to schedule an appointment at the DMV to take the driving test.

There are several driving schools in Fresno offering driver’s education or behind-the-wheel courses. These include Drive America, which offers both courses; Code 3, which also offers both courses; and Central California Driving and Traffic School, which offers both courses as well as online options.

Three-week vacation presents driving opportunities

Over the course of Christmas break, many students took advantage of the extra week to head down to the DMV and take the anticipated driving test.

Despite an initial lack of approval from his parents, sophomore Stowe Empereur took his learner’s permit test over the vacation in order to motivate himself to work toward his license.

“At first my mom would not let me get my permit because she did not feel that I was responsible enough, and that I would take advantage of my driving privilege,” Empereur said. “She later decided that I was showing more responsibility and, because I brought my grades up by the end of the semester, she let me take my [learner’s] permit test.”

Further along in the driving process than Empereur, sophomore Mary Reynolds decided to finish her last behind-the-wheel training at Code 3 in order to take her driving test.

“I was anxious and nervous because I was hoping that the person [examiner] would be really nice and talk to me during the test,” Reynolds. “After I passed, I did not know how to feel; at first I was a little shocked, and then I became super excited and held in my joy until I saw my mom and told her.?

While Reynolds attained her driver’s license a short time after her birthday, junior Heather Lichti decided to wait about a year later until she made the momentous trip to the DMV.

?I did not get my license on time because I waited a year, so that I could take my time taking driver’s ed online,” Lichti said. “I do not have to depend on my parents to drive me places ? I can just drive myself.?

Although she sometimes regrets getting her license late, her decision to wait adheres to a recent trade among teenagers. Many students decline to work toward a driver’s license due to busy schedules, safety cautions or for other reasons.

Despite her actions, Lichti encourages others to complete the necessary steps at the earliest opportunity.

“I was kind of aggravated and upset that I waited so long to get my license,” Lichti said, “but it is my own fault because I took my time in driver’s ed. I would advise people to get it on time because having your license is a lot of fun and you will kind of regret it if you do not.”

Although a driver’s license often extends more independence to teens, it can also manifest a burden for students who must run errands for family members or chauffeur younger siblings. For Reynolds, however, the benefits outweigh the added responsibilities.

?I offer to go to the store for my parents just so I can get out and drive,? Reynolds said. ?I can also go to my friends’ houses all by myself. I have the advantage of staying places later or leaving earlier, now that I do not have to wait for my parents.?

According to California state law, persons 18 years or older can skip behind-the-wheel training and test for their driver’s license. Due to the time commitment and expense of schooling, senior Mary Sargent decided to wait for her license.

?It takes a long time to do all of the training and it also has a lot of expense,? Sargent said. ?I probably will not get my license until I am 18 years old because then I do not have to go through training. It is not that big of a deal to me to get my license because I probably would not use it that much.?

For more information on teens and driving, read the Oct. 15, 2007, article, CA restricts drivers’ cell phone use or the May 16 article, Responsibilities burden teenage drivers.