Basketball focus generates consistent scorer

As the cheerleaders chant, ?J-U-M-P, jump! jump!? the whistle sounds and the two players jump for the ball, fighting for possession. Junior Landon Martens eagerly anticipates getting his hands on the ball.

Martens has fostered a passion for basketball since the sixth grade. He first found inspiration from previous Fresno Christian basketball star, Ross Charest, ’05 alumnus.

?I remember going to all of Ross? games and watching him score a bunch of points,? Martens said. ?Ever since then I have always wanted to do that. His dedication to basketball really showed, and I remember hoping someday I would be like him.?

Martens has played on the varsity team since his freshman year, and has focused on constantly improving his skill.

“It’s been a process for him to develop and gain confidence, but he’s become our most consistent scorer,” basketball coach Chris Shultz said. “He is someone who has risen to the occasion and made some big plays for us throughout this year. He’s easily one of the best players in our league and has shown that consistently this year.”

Despite Marten’s partiality for other sports, he still enjoys playing. Although he enjoys bonding with the teammates on trips and during practice, he favors football over basketball. The difference in emotional release changes the dynamic within the team.

?Basketball can be really stressful at times,? Martens said. ?It?s very difficult getting your anger out, and it?s hard to keep your composure while playing in the games. In football it?s much easier to get out your aggression by tackling the opposite team.?

Friend and teammate Andrew McCormick, ’10, said Martens is a huge asset to the team and feels his ambition is inspiring.

“He is a strong player who never gives up,” McCormick said. “He has trouble getting rebounds because he’s too busy shooting three pointers during games.”

Martens has experienced steady results due to the strict focus basketball demands, producing many highlights throughout the season.

?My favorite game I?ve played in was against Mendota,? Martens said. ?I ended up making the game-winning shot. I was so excited and surprised that we won the game. I hope I will have the opportunity to make a difference in the outcome of a game again.?

Martens learned the importance of dedication when he traveled to Wyoming over Christmas break. His lack of practice resulted in losing his finesse when he returned, including an air-ball free throw.

?I was so embarrassed when I missed the shot,? Martens said. ?I?ve never done that in a game before. Afterwards the coaches confronted me saying that if I wouldn?t have gone to Wyoming, this careless mistake probably wouldn?t have happened.?

Basketball often takes hours of commitment, forcing Martens to find time to relax. He enjoys being at home and hanging out with friends.

?When I?m at home I usually watch movies and play Xbox live,? Martens said. “I enjoy playing Call of Duty on my Xbox 360 with Dustin [McDonald, ’09] and Tyler [Revis, ’10]. It?s really fun and it gives me a break from physical activities.?

Martens says the continuous conditioning and weight lifting for basketball help keep him in shape. He also attends the daily conditioning class, which benefits his health.

?Even though it is very strenuous and difficult to stay motivated, it?s all worth it in the end,? Martens said. “I would still work out at the gym, but I wouldn?t run because I hate running. If it weren?t for basketball, I wouldn?t be in as good of shape as I am now.”

For more information on boys’ basketball, read the sport shorts or the Jan. 29 article, Attitude change transforms varsity captain.