Spirit week anticipation grows as event approaches

As the school year winds down, school spirit appears to have taken a plunge and coasting towards summer. Administration and student leadership hopes to raise school spirit once again during annual Spirit Week, May 13-17.

“Since the year is almost over, most students are getting really bored with school. Spirit Week is one of the most anticipated weeks of the year,” Lauren Taylor,’03, student pep commissioner, said. “We are planning on doing a lot of fun things and getting a lot of student participation. The whole week is about having a good time with your friends. The dating game is going to be one of the most fun parts because we will learn things about campus couples that we never knew.”

Not only will the student body be able to get to know their fellow classmates better, but students will get to see inside some upper classman relationships in the dating game on May 14.

“It’s going to be really funny to see my brother and Samantha Kimball (’02) in the dating game,” Sam Fisher, ’04, said. ” It going to be hilarious when all of the couples are going to have to dish out the true facts about their relationship.”

Many of the couples that will participate in the dating game with their companion are looking forward to competing against other couples.

“Sam and I have been together the shortest out of all the other couples,” Kimball said. “We have already started quizzing each other and hope for the best. I think it will be funny for the couples and the audience. All of the couples are funny people you never know what they are going to do.”

For most the thought of famous pairs-day means dressing up like twin items such as salt and peppershakers, ketchup and mustard bottles or famous couples on May 14. Famous pairs in TV history can include Lucy and Ricky Ricardo from the hitt show I Love Lucy.

“The best part of the week is going to be the famous pairs day,” Danae Cook, ’05, said. “One of my friends and I are going to dress up as salt and pepper shakers. I think it will be a good way to expand our creative sides and have fun with our friends.”

While many find dressing up as an unfamiliar character uncomfortable many will find comfort in the long shorts day.

“I don’t really like dressing up as different characters. Long shorts day is going to be the most to be the most comfortable day all year because we will be able to wear shorts,” Emily Goertzen, ’04, said. “I am getting really tired of wearing long pants to school and it will be nice to have a change at least for a day because of the hot weather.”

Twin day on campus is also being looked forward to by many of the students. For some twin day may be somewhat of a challenge except for twins John and Dawn Steele,’03.

“John and I want to dress the same for twin day,” Dawn Steele said. “It’s only appropriate that we both dress up the same since we are twins. It could be a little harder for people that are not twins but still really fun.”

The gong show is being looked forward to by many students because it gives them a chance to display their talents large or small on May 17.

“I am going to mime for the talent show,” Erica McIntyre, ’04, said. “I have gotten pretty good throughout the last couple of months. I think it will be a lot of fun cause its just something stupid that I can do.”

To take the place of school dances the leadership team had organized a square dance at the house of Amanda Quist, ’04, for foot-stomping fun on May 16.

“We would like to make this an annual event,” Christopher Schultz, student activity director, said. “Were going to see how the student body reacts. The good part is you don’t have to have a date to a square dance.”

This week will also give the male staff members a chance to show off their basketball talent in the varsity vs. staff basketball game on May 17.

“It going to be really fun to play all of our teachers in the basketball game,” Sam Babcock, 02, said. “I just hope that they don’t cheat like they have done in the past years just so can win. We will win this year for sure. It’s going to be even more fun in the three on three basketball tournament.”

The three-on-three basketball tournament will be made up of two guys and one girl on each team on May 15.

Associated Student Body (ASB) speeches and elections will also be held on May 16 while the student body will determine their leaders for next year.

“This is designed for the student body to choose who will be part of leadership next year,” Schultz said. “Leadership helps run activity’s and maintain the leadership class thought the year. The whole objective is to serve.”

Other than activities an array of food will also be provided during the week at lunch for a barbeque on May 15.

“It will be a nice change to have different lunches that week,” Douglas DenHartog, ’05, said. “It gets really old bringing a lunch to school everyday and Johns lunch truck is good but the BBQ will be better.”