'The Bachelor' disregards moral limits

Although the popular reality show, The Bachelor, emphasizes finding true love, many viewers feel the program is more about drama and ratings. The show premiered in 2002 on ABC, and out of 13 bachelors, it has not resulted in any steady relationships. Yet, many viewers are still eager to see how the next season will turn out.

I think there is hope for the future candidates because Trista Rehn and Ryan Sutter had a positive outcome on The Bachelorette, a spin-off of The Bachelor. Trista and Ryan are happily married and have a son, Maxwell.

The Bachelor is different from other reality shows because it affects the future of the candidates, whether positively or negatively. This show causes countless heartbreaks because the women get emotionally involved in their quest to inspire the love of the ‘bachelor.’

The women are forced to make themselves vulnerable in order to be noticed. Jealousy is a huge factor throughout the show because all they quickly fall in love with the same guy, causing many disagreements between them.

The most recent season of The Bachelor was undeniably more dramatic and controversial than any of the previous seasons. The bachelor, Jason Mesnick, 32, started the season with 25 women vying for his attention.

Many heartbreaks later, Jason decided which two women he would take to the season finale. Melissa Rycroft, 26, considered nurturing and loyal, went up against 24-year-old Molly Malaney, more career-minded.

These women have two vastly different personalities, yet Jason found himself drawn to both of them. After spending hours contemplating who he felt would be the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, he made the final decision by choosing Melissa.

Jason expressed his love to Melissa and asked her to marry him, and she happily said yes! However, the dramatic nature of the show returned to cause even more trouble for the couple. Six weeks after Jason proposed, the show unveiled a new and troubling situation.

Generally, this program, “After the Final Rose,” is a time to catch up with the happy couple. However, we discover that Jason has broken off his engagement to Melissa on national TV and professed his love to Molly. Molly was shocked by the change of Jason?s heart, yet her feelings for him had not changed.

Many viewers, including myself, do not approve of how Jason broke off his engagement to Melissa on TV. I believe this should have been dealt with in a private manner, in order to give Melissa the respect she deserved.

Before proposing, Jason should have taken more time to make sure he was choosing the right woman to spend the rest of his life with. Everyone makes mistakes, but I believe Jason could have dealt with the situation in a different manner.

Despite moral issues surrounding the show, the nature of reality televsion does not always allow for decorum in show outcomes.

Casting for the 14th season of The Bachelor is now underway. For more information, visit the official Web site.