Twins dress up school spirit

Identical figures and famous pairs arrived on campus, as students had the opportunity to be crazy and design elaborate costumes for Twin Day during Spirit Week, May 14-15. Students chose to dress up either as a variety of famous television show characters or just simply like twins.

“Tim Haydock, Casey Belmont and myself wore our famous pink shirts,” John Wiens, ’02, said. “This was our last dramatic appearance as ?the pink shirt trio.’ This Spirit week went really well and it makes it all the better that it’s my senior year.”

Student’s cooperation for this year’s event was lower than expected by student leadership, who are in charge of the week’s festivities. However, those who participated were happy that they did.

“Everyone knows that my sister and I are twins, but we thought it would be fun to dress up anyways,” Jon Steele, ’03, said. “It took us some creative work to come with those shirts, but I thought it was pretty clever that they said ?I’m the other twin.'”

The classic foursome known as the Ninja Turtles were some of the television characters that were portrayed by students. Senior girls Shelly Foust, Jennifer Jesser, Dani Fries and Shanda Kemp were the proud participants.

“I had a lot of fun being a Ninja Turtle,” Jesser said. “It was fun to see all of the interesting reactions to my costume. We picked the Ninja Turtles because we thought it would be easy and different.”

For some, the events did not live up to expectations.

“I think there should have been a contest,” Lindsay Martens, ’05, said. “Many students spent time and money on their costumes and I think they should have been properly rewarded.”

With over 15 pairs participating in this year’s proceedings, students displayed that school spirit still vegetates on campus.