Back to school night abets communication

Parents will have a chance to walk in students’ shoes, following their schedule and receiving information from teachers, at the annual back to school night, Aug. 31 at 7 p.m.

The event, in its 32nd year, allows teachers to explain their academic expectations for the school year. The cheer squad will host a cookie and donation booth. Over 200 parents are expected to attend.

Math teacher Jane Gillespie says she sees back to school night as a beneficial event for parents.

“Parents need to be informed of what’s expected from their students this year in each class,” Gillespie said. “It’s important that they understand how we grade and assign material.”

In addition to academic information, parents who attend the event are also informed of the different parent involvement groups that are available during the school year.

Moms In Touch and the Parent Student Network have planned booths to display their projects for the year.

“It is good for the parents to meet each other and learn about parent involvement groups,” secretary Yoko Kilbourne said. “One of the best parts of the event, however, is the cookies made by the cheer squad.”

Principal Todd Bennett encourages parents to attend the event not only because of what they will learn, but because it shows students their parents care about their education.

“It is important for the teachers to have open communication between them and the parents,” Bennett said. “Plus by attending back to school night, it shows the students their parents care about what they’re doing.”

Senior Julio Ibarra’s parents have attended the event every year, and have touted its benefits.

“Last year when my parents came home from back to school night they said they really appreciated meeting all my teachers,” Ibarra said. “And that it was nice to be informed of what the year will hold for me.”

The 3rd-6th grade back to school night will be held Sept. 1. For more information, e-mail Kilbourne.