• 3/20- Econ Fair @ lunch
  • 41st Annual FCS Auction begins online March 8-13
  • 3/22 - High School Spring Formal

Girls strive to keep pace

Bellows echo across the court and rubber balls collide with the sleek wood floor as the girls’ basketball team practices. An intense spark of energy illuminates the atmosphere as they work to perfect their techniques.

As their season draws to a close, the girl’s varsity basketball team hopes to end it immersed in success.

With a current record of 6-10, it appears that the girls have done their best to keep pace with opposing teams.

“We shouldn’t have lost our last game against Mendota,” Bonnie Hansen, ’07, said. “That loss was really depressing for the team.”

Despite this recent disappointment, Hansen does her best to stay motivated and to keep her confidence level high.

“I definitely believe that our team has potential,” Hansen said. “We work well together, but our mental focus is a little off. I think if we can improve that, then we can win the rest of the games this season.”

Aside from wins and losses, some of the girls focus on different aspects of basketball. As the only freshman on the team, Mary Kneefel, ’08, considers her love of the game most important.

“I don’t really play basketball for any special reason other than the fact that I really like it,” Kneefel said. “I have a lot of fun when I’m on the court, and I appreciate all my teammates.”

Occasionally, obstacles present themselves to individual players in the form of painful injuries.

“I have two diseases that sometimes conflict with my ability to play,” Hansen said. “One of them, Fibromyalgia, is a constant muscle tightness and pain. The other is called Spondolyking Arthritis, and it makes my hips and shoulders hurt constantly.”

Hansen explained that the running and sudden stopping required for basketball only aggravates her condition, so she struggles to overcome it.

In spite of the frustrations that come with tough losses and physical problems, the team has developed a strong motivation and an almost unshakable confidence in one another.

“I’m proud of the girls,” Tracy Jones, basketball coach, said. “We haven’t won every game this season, but I know that they’ve done their best, and that is really important to me”

The girls’ next away game will be against Fowler on February 4. Their next home game will be against Tranquility on February 8.

For more information contact the high school office at 299-1695.