Young adults graduate to shape future

The hoards of nervous freshmen that scurried in and out of classrooms all over campus four years ago is now only a memory. The once small, timid class of 2002 has grown and matured into a confident group of aspiring young adults.

The catalyst in this metamorphosis has proven to be, as it is for all graduating classes, the world events that have forced them to look at their lives and how they can affect the world around them. In the midst of troubles, students must formulate their own beliefs and convictions and then defend them against the ideas of other peers and leaders.

In the recent past, the lives of the graduating seniors were immediately affected by the tragedy of Sept. 11. For the first time, these young adults were exposed to the evil and violence that is so prevalent in the world around them. The entire class was forced to grapple with the reality of the situation especially when errant talks of a draft spread across the nation.

In addition to the events of Sept. 11, we have experienced a number of history making events that will forever shape the way we view politics and government. One of the major events that has come and gone within the last four years was the Clinton impeachment and scandal.

The nation was able to bear witness to the power and efficiency of the government in action. Young adults across the nation were put in the position to question their authority figures, and thus forced to formulate and support their own ideas.

It has been said that “What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger,” and the past four years have been instrumental in strengthening the minds, bodies, and spirits of the Class of 2002.

Their preconceived ideas and perceptions of the world around them were attacked leaving their spirits challenged and broken but not extinguished, only to emerge stronger than when they had entered.