Kickoff raises funds, excitement

The athletic department stepped beyond bake sales and car washes to raise money by holding a fall sports kick-off carnival, Aug. 29.

The event, held on the North Field, inundated the campus with everything from auction items to snow cones in order to fundraise for the football, tennis, cross country, cheer and volleyball teams.

“The purpose of the carnival was to promote unity among both campuses while raising funds for our athletic teams and school clubs,” athletic director Cynthia Ward said. “We consider it a huge success because of the large turn out.”

In addition to raising funds for fall sports and activities, the event collected donations for the Salazars, a family who lost their children recently to a car crash.

“The FC families are to be commended for their generous donations to the Salazar family,” Ward said. “Our coaches and players wanted to reach out and minister to that family.”

In all, the kickoff raised about $4,000 for the teams and over $4,900 for the Salazar family.

While some attended the event in order to support the sports teams, six teachers signed up for the dunk tank gave students another reason to come.

“I was bored at home so I came today to see my friends and have some entertainment,” Zach Mizner, ’10, said. “I wanted Fenton to be dunked because it was a way for me to get back at him for all the math homework he gives.”

In addition to pizza and vengeance opportunities, the carnival allowed students to socialize with no time restrictions.

“I wanted to come and hang out with my friends in a non-school environment,” freshman Jordan Boudreau said. “In school you have a few minutes to converse with your friends and you don’t get to ‘hang out’ with them.”

However, not all attendees came for the side attractions.

“When no one comes out to support your sports team it makes you feel very unimportant,” volleyball player Cassidy Hutchins, ’11, said, “so I wanted to come out and support the other teams.”

For more information, read the August 27 article, Carnival kickoff benefits athletics, family or check out the photo page.