Valedictorian's contributions felt in, out of classroom

To many, valedictorian is the highest honor a senior can receive. It requires a 4.0 GPA or higher throughout all of high school, but often valedictorians are involved in several other activities.

“They’re all people who have made a commitment since day one,” Principal Gary Schultz said. “Even freshman year they had their goal. All three seniors, John Wiens, Tim Swift and Christopher Dang, almost wouldn’t even consider getting a B.”

The ?01/’02 senior class claims the following three valedictorians:

Tim Swift- attended FCS for three years, achieved 4.02 GPA, CSF seal bearer, played varsity basketball and baseball, editor of The Feather, Academic Decathlon member, student leadership vice president, and plans to attend Fresno State’s honor program.

“It’s nice to be rewarded for my hard work,” Swift said. “For the last four years I’ve worked hard to keep straight A’s.”

John Wiens- attended FCS 13 years, achieved 4.03 GPA, CSF seal bearer, student leadership vice president and president, played basketball, and plans to attend Fresno State.

“I would encourage freshman who want to be a valedictorian to get good grades;” Wiens said. “Do your homework, and if you forget something, turn it in late–50% is better than nothing!”

Christopher Dang-attended FCS for 13 years, achieved 4.06 GPA, CSF seal bearer, Chairman of Lab Department of Volunteer Services at St. Agnes hospital, gives charity piano concerts at Fresno State, and plans to attend UCSD.

“It’s fun to graduate,” Dang said. “Stobbe’s (Greg) the best and it’s great to be at the end.”

All three will be honored in the graduation ceremony on June 6th in The Peoples Church sanctuary at 7 p.m.