Seattle visit inspires collegiate mindset

As rain sprinkled the maple trees surrounding century-old buildings in Seattle, my family and I approached the University of Washington, Sept. 5-7. This was the first time I had seen the school where my older brother had chosen to spend his junior year of college. After hearing him speak of his love for the city, my family and I were eager to tour his new home.

The campus was historic and breath-taking. Reminding me of the castle-like Hogwarts school from the Harry Potter book series and movies, I entered a state of pondering and wonder for my future college experience; I grew anxious as I realized how large colleges were compared to my private high school.

As a senior, it was baffling to think that I would soon enter college in only one year. Realizing this notion, I chose to pay specific attention to my University of Washington visit, as I may soon be in a similar setting.

As we walked to Husky Stadium, home of the University of Washington Huskies, my heart raced at the sight of thousands of fans getting ecstatic for the upcoming football game between the Huskies and Louisiana State University (LSU). When the game started, it appeared that there were more opposing fans than Seattle natives. However, LSU followers were over-powered as Husky fans screamed for their team.

The college game was so different from campus games I have attended. It was interesting to see the kind of school spirit the students had. They seemed to fill at least a fourth of all the seats in the giant stadium and almost every student wore purple and white Husky apparel.

I enjoyed how many students attended the game and never ceased to cheer, even when their team was losing. Their proud attitudes toward their school made the experience memorable for me.

During that weekend, I also got a chance to spend time in the heart of Seattle, the “city that never sleeps.” I have always loved big cities and this one was no disappointment; observing the people surrounding me, the busy streets, taxis honking their horns and hundreds of women with countless shopping bags made it obvious to me why my brother loves it there.

Despite these factors, the culture is what made the city so unique. Ethnically diverse and flocked with people roaming the streets, I felt I could have stood on a street corner for hours happily watching everyone walk by.

However, with the overflowing streets, I also observed a large population of homeless citizens in the city. While the homeless issue touches my heart, I loved seeing the inspirational spirit and hope some of them had.

One particular man sat outside a grocery store each day I was there, saying, “Real change, thank you sir or ma’am.” Although I had no idea what he meant, I completely admired his dedication to what he believes in and the courage to state it to each pedestrian.

Even with its attractive structures and diversity, I was not particularly fond of the weather in Seattle. The constant drizzle and gray skies made me feel drained and out of energy, as well as giving a gloomy aspect to my attitude. I don’t know how the Seattle residents survive without constant sunshine to brighten their days.

Because of the weather, countless coffee houses reside on almost every street corner where students could study, sit by the fire or just have a nice discussion with a warm beverage.

My trip to Seattle was very emotionally enriching; it prepared me with a mindset to start applying to colleges and do extensive research on schools in every area of the U.S. It also opened up my mind to college campus life and inspired me to finish the year strong as a senior in excitement for my college future to take over.