Grandparents' Day connects families

Decades have passed since high school students’ grandparents have been in school. However, on Grandparents’ Day, grandparents had a chance to revisit school with their younger family members as their guide, Oct 2.

Grandparents were invited to come to their grandchild’s third and fourth periods. Those students who brought their grandparents were excused from fifth period to go to lunch early, where 900 lunches were served to nearly 600 grandparents and their families.

In response to the huge “to-do” put on by the school, many attending grandparents expressed their gratitude.

“I think it’s a very nice gesture the school makes towards the grandparents,” Jackie Scheidt, senior Elizabeth Grossman’s grandmother, said. “The grandparents I’ve talked to really appreciated being recognized. I come every year to follow our grandchildrens’ education, their growth and get to know what they do in class.”

Natalie and Hallie Griffin, seventh and fourth grade students respectively, invited their grandparents, Bud and Judy Goodbar, to attend the event.

“We were told we had to come by Natalie,” Judy said, laughing, “but we wouldn’t have missed it for the world. We love our granddaughters, are proud of them, and are extremely happy they are attending here. Grandparents’ Day is something the school should continue. This makes us feel like we are an integral part of their life. We sat in on Hallie’s class, with Mrs. Krause, and it was great to see our granddaughter interact with her peers.”

Bud agreed that the experience was rewarding.

“I visited Miss Vogt’s and Mrs. Nakashian’s classes with Natalie,” Bud said. “Both teachers gave great presentations and I really appreciated how they drew the students into the lesson. I enjoyed how teachers present lessons and operate the class.”

Jeanie Espindola, grandmother of senior Spencer and sophomore Brady Lee, said she came to show her grandsons because of how much she loves them.

“Bonding with [the boys] is an important part of their lives, and I want them to be part of mine,” Espindola said. “Sharing in their interests and being part of their lives is what I do.”

The event has such a pull, it attracted Nancy Guffin, grandmother of Bailey (sixth grade) and Brandon Brogan (third grade), from South Dakota.

“This is the second time I’ve come for grandparents day,” Guffin said. “I don’t get to spend a ton of time with my grand kids. The day goes by so fast, but it’s well worth it.”

Freshman Briana Graff’s grandparents did not attend, but Graff did not let that stop her from enjoying the company of her friends’ grandparents.

“It was complicated trying to get to class because the halls became crowded,” Graff said. “But it was exciting to see the grandparents participate in our class activities.”

Grandparent’s Day 2009 from Tyler Duerr on Vimeo.

For more information, read the Sept. 22 article, Grandparents’ Day bridges generations or check out Schooling with nanna or What did she say?