New cheer leadership sets goals

For the first time in several years, the campus cheer squads have hired new coaches due to the resignation of Katie Mendenhall last year.

Campus alumni Robin (Stauf, ’98) Whitford and Paula (Shook, ’96) Beery received the assignment at the end of last year, with Whitford serving as head coach. Since they began coaching, they have attended cheer camp with the team and gone through choreography for the upcoming competition season. The squad attended and won their first competition at JAMZ Mountain Classic, Nov. 22.

Whitford attended Fresno Christian for six years in junior high and high school, cheered for five years and graduated in 1998. Taking charge of the varsity cheer squad is her first coaching job. Whitford says her favorite thing about coaching so far is getting to know the teams and their families.

“I am excited to watch them grow together as a team,” Whitford said. “I know they will be successful at whatever they put their mind to.”

When Whitford first met the team, she says she focused her efforts on balancing work and fun.

“My first impression of the girls was proven to be true,” Whitford said. “They work hard, but do it with a lot of laughs.”

Whitford says the sport she teaches is multi-faceted, adding extra challenges for the team.

“Cheer has so many aspects to it,” Whitford said. “To be excellent, a team has to push itself in so many areas: from flexibility, to stunting, to tumbling and dance. It takes many well-rounded athletes to be great.”

Whitford taught in the public school system for several years and says she loves the contrast FC provides. Her husband Mike taught junior high Bible on campus last year.

“I love Fresno Christian and thought it was a great opportunity to hopefully give back to a place that gave so much to me,” Whitford said. “I love the contrast of being able to share about my love for the Lord openly.”

Before the new school year began, the varsity cheer squad gathered together for five to six hours of choreography for two days, in order to learn their two-and-a-half minute competition routine. Whitford says she enjoyed the weekend of learning the routine and thought the team did a good job, despite some injured members.

“The team worked for two days non-stop and kept great attitudes throughout the entire experience. I was so proud of them,” Whitford said.

After getting to know the team better and performing in competitions, Whitford professes confidence in the squad’s ability.

“They are incredibly experienced [in cheer] and have a great work ethic,” Whitford said. “They enjoy what they do which drives them to be good at it. I hope that we’ll do our absolute best and give God the glory for our accomplishments.”

After high school, Whitford attended Fresno Pacific University and traveled overseas. At Fresno Pacific, she majored in Liberal Studies, received her teaching credential, was involved in student government and worked as an resident assistant and in intercultural studies.

Whitford decided to travel overseas to do missions work at an orphanage and support full time missionaries.

“The experience brought a lot of perspective about the things that we worry or stress about,” Whitford said. “The things that we stress about are not at all like the things that these people worry about.”

While cheering throughout football season, the cheer team also prepared for the competition season. Despite losing two team members due to health issues, the team competed for the first time at the JAMZ Mountain Classic at Six Flags Magic Mountain, winning first place in varsity show cher level two.

Whitford says she found the experience fun overall, despite first-compeititon stress.

“It was kind of stressful after there was a long delay time after warm-ups prior to the performance,” junior Bree Ainley said. “We had it [the routine] all in practice, but performing is much different than that.”

The cheer squad will compete at the Golden State Spirit Association (GSSA) Championships in Sacramento on Dec. 12.

For more information, email Whitford or read the Dec. 2 article, Squad wins at JAMZ competition.