Captain leads with 'cheery' attitude

For the cheer squad, this year has brought a host of changes: a new coach, a smaller team and new stunt groups top the issues. The challenge of adapting to these adjustments often falls on captain Holly Savage, ’10.

As a captain for three years, Savage has accumulated many experiences to guide her decisions and perspective for the team. The most difficult aspect of being captain, she says, is maintaining “the right attitude.”

“Being captain is hard because when you want to complain or have something to say you always have to think of the right thing to say,” Savage said. “It is hard to keep my attitude in check.”

Although Savage played volleyball and basketball in elementary school, she decided to abandon those sports in favor of cheerleading.

“I became a cheerleader because I wasn’t very good at other sports and I wanted to be involved in our school,” Savage said. “I thought being a cheerleader was a good way to support our school and have school spirit.”

Savage’s best friend and co-captain, junior Kory Thompson, says she values her leadership qualities and appreciates the time they spend together on the team.

“Holly is very responsible and knows how to get people to listen. She knows how to lead the team and be a great influence,” Thompson said. “I love being on the same team as her because we get to work together and can put each other in our places, if needed.”

Savage’s younger sister Amy, ’13, says Holly continues to be selected as a captain because of her leadership ability.

“I think that Holly has been captain so many times because she is good at what she does,” Amy said. “She is a natural leader, although she doesn’t always like having the responsibilities that come with it –but she never complains. I have learned a lot from her: to never give up and to keep praying even when things seem impossible because God is always there in the end. His will is always accomplished.”

Amy says she sees Holly’s participation in cheer having a positive influence on her.

“She has become so much more outgoing and has learned to laugh at herself and can make light of a bad situation,” Amy said. “She has also become more responsible since she has become captain; she has had to think of everybody’s needs and take care of issues that arise, and that has carried over into her everyday life.”

Savage says she loves the “stunting” aspect of cheer best due to the athletic nature of the activity.

“I love to stunt; that has to be the best part of our practices,” Savage said. “The thought of throwing someone in the air and catching them is just blows my mind away. I love the challenge of it.”

Last year the cheer squad competed in “super varsity” as the team consisted of 25 team members. This year the number was reduced to 14.

“Last year was hard with 25 members because there were so many girls. It was hard to get all 25 of us to do the same exact thing at the same exact time,” Savage said. “I feel like this year we are closer because there are less of us and we can all come together as a team.

“The scary thing about not having such a large team this year is that it isn’t as big and you can’t really rely on others as much. What I’m excited for is that we are a lot more spirited this year and are really committed to supporting the other sports teams.”

After five years of cheering, one year stands out to Savage as her favorite.

“I absolutely loved sophomore year,” Savage said. “Our team was so close and we got along so well. We worked extremely hard, but had fun doing it.”

With numerous hours spent at cheer practice each week Savage does not find much free time to hang with friends.

“I do not have to much free time due to practices and homework,” Savage said. “I wake up, go to school, practice from 2:15 to 4:30 (depending on the day), then go home do homework, eat dinner, hang out with my family for a little then go to bed and wake up and do it all over again.”

Savage is considering cheer at Azusa Pacific University, where the team attends Fellowship of Christian Cheerleaders (FCC) camp, because she says they have a good team and she would love to attend the school.

For more information on cheer read the Aug. 26 article, Reforged squad takes first at camp or e-mail coach Robin Whitford.