Sophomore float attempts to reclaim victory

Update: At homecoming on Oct. 16, the four classes went head-to-head in the float competition, making two rounds around the track for an uproarious audience. The senior float, themed Fantasyland, was awarded first place. Over 40 students in costume performed at half time. The sophomores’ New Orleans Square received second, with the juniors’ Adventureland took third. The freshmen rounded out the competition with Tomorrowland. For more information about homecoming, read the Oct. 19 article, Homecoming awards seniors, royal court.

Last year, the class of 2012 redefined the homecoming norm by becoming the first freshman class to win in Fresno Christian history. This year, they hope for a repeat victory as sophomores as they take on the “Lands of Disney” theme at homecoming, Oct. 16.

The sophomores chose New Orleans Square for their float. According to leadership students, one person was required to lead the sophomore class and involve as many students as possible.

By the end of the discussion, Danielle St. Marie took the responsibility.

“At first when we were talking about homecoming someone else was voted as the leader,” St. Marie said. “And as the situation evolved I took charge.”

In addition to leading the event, St. Marie offered her grandparents’ workshop as a building location and her family has provided tools, props and time. Although this is her first time in leadership and she was unable to participate in float building previously, she says she is confident with the results thus far.

“This year being in charge has been really stressful, but it has been a good experience,” St. Marie said. “In my personal opinion I believe our float is the winner, but we’ll just have to wait and see on Friday night.”

Previously, Julianne King’s family hosted the class to create the first-place-winning Bluegrass float. Due to previous obligations, the Kings were happy to pass on the responsibility.

“I didn’t mind having it at Danielle’s grandparent’s house because I knew we could work at night,” King said. “My parents were already working on a set for church and not having homecoming at my house was a lot less stressful.”

While a lack of motivation typical to freshmen set in for some students last year, some say they will be more involved this time around.

“Last year I was busy, misinformed and didn’t pursue it.” Victoria Hindes said. “But this year I wanted to be a part of it. I’m glad because I can say I was a part of the float. I don’t think I’m very good at a lot of things, but I did the things I could do. I loved watching it come up step by step, especially having the doors, winders and other details getting glued on.”

Last year’s success motivated many students to get involved this year.

“I felt more responsible this year,” Trevor York, ’12, said. “I built huge parts of it and had a lot of fun. When it was finished and we saw what we had made, I was proud of it.”

Many of those who experienced the taste of victory returned to help again, including Austen Houts.

“I think it looks very nice,” Houts said. “At first I had some doubts about it, but we really came together as a class. I am excited to be on the float because I’m going to be a dead bride. I miss drama and dressing up as something I’m not. I really hope we win all four years.”

For more information about homecoming, read the Oct. 6 article, Homecoming redefines Disneyland themes or the Oct. 9, 2008 article, Freshman float victory defies senior precedent.