Coffee-crazed seek local fix

The “coffee craze” landed on American soil only a few years ago and has spread rapidly since. Now, it is not uncommon to see children and adults alike sipping a hot latte or ice-blended mocha.

Because of this growing demand for java bean products, many coffee companies’ size and popularity have expanded enormously. One of the most well known coffee brands is Starbucks, whose chain stretches worldwide with over 8,337 stores.

However, many coffee connoisseurs in the Fresno area prefer getting their “fix” at a small, locally owned cafe known as Koffee Heads, located in the Villagio Shopping Center at the corner of Blackstone and Nees. They claim that a mixture of an artistic ambiance, friendly staff and a unique menu set apart this coffee shop from larger franchises.

“I love the environment at Koffee Heads,” Carina Moran, ’05, said. “I really enjoy the art they display, and I appreciate the fact that they support local artists.”

The great atmosphere of Koffee Heads is complimented by, of course, their great coffee. The owner of the store, Jack Weldon, says that their most popular drink is the Koffee Heads Mocha. It includes a special blend of chocolate, amaretto and hazelnut, which adds a delicious twists to this familiar treat.

“Koffee Heads has great coffee,” Dori Richardson, ’05, said. “I ordered their caramel blended drink and I really liked it.”

Koffee Heads also receives much fame from their original concoction of an omelet in a cup in which they call an Egg-spresso. Although it is served in a coffee container, it does not include actual coffee products. It has the same ingredients found in a regular omelet, but instead of a skillet, they use a steam wand to cook this delicacy to perfection.

“Their Egg-spressos are so good!” Cason Belmont, ’05, said. “The Karnivore is my favorite because it has an assortment of meats. They are also great for meals on the go, because you can eat it straight from the cup.”

Koffee Heads is a great alternative to other popular coffee houses. If you are looking for a more relaxed scene or better menu choices, try out this hot spot for yourself.

For more information about Koffee Heads, contact them at 447-9903.