SAT, ACT influence college options

For many juniors and seniors, the SAT and ACT seem to stand between them and the acceptance letter to the college of their choice. While other factors contribute to the admissions process, these two predominant tests serve to gauge students’ skills.

According to academic adviser Molly Sargent, most colleges will accept either test. However, taking the SAT or ACT is not required for admission to a community college.

The SAT is a four-section test which includes critical reading, math, writing and an essay. The ACT also consists of four sections: English, math, reading and science. An optional writing assessment is available for a fee.

Both tests are multiple choice and require about three hours to complete.

For those considering a four-year education, Sargent advises thorough preparation for the tests.

“Students should study their brains out,” Sargent said. “Colleges rely on test scores and GPAs to determine if a student will be successful in college.”

Junior SeungKeun Kim plans to take both the SAT and ACT and studies several hours for the tests.

“I want to go to college here so I study and review every day,” Kim said. “I’m nervous because whenever I’m studying it’s hard due to the language barrier. I think the SAT is going to be harder because of the 30-minute essay.”

In addition to preparation, senior Jackie Cowin recognizes the importance of a focused and relaxed approach.

“I did fairly well, but if I had been concentrating fully and had prepared more, I think I could’ve done better,” Cowin said. “I should’ve talked to teachers and got tips and review worksheets.”

In order to aid students as they prepare for the tests, Sargent recommends students buy a practice book and utilize resources on The College Board.

The next SAT date is Jan. 23 and the registration deadline for this test is Dec. 15. The upcoming ACT is Feb. 6 and the registration deadline is Jan. 5.

For more information regarding the SAT, visit The College Board. For more information about the ACT, visit ACT.org.