Hot weather, closed rides disappoint some on Six Flags trip

As the school year winds down excitement built among the students who attended the second annual trip to six flags, Magic Mountain, in Southern California on May 29.

“Six Flags this year was really a great bonding time with all of my friends,” Josh Wright, ’05, said. “Especially since everybody has been really stressed about the upcoming finals it was a great way to take our minds off that stress.”

Not only the students enjoyed the trip to Six Flags but also the teachers who participated in the event.

“It was very hot and I was a little disappointed the two rides I was looking forward to were closed,” Sharon Scharf, art teacher, said. ” I got to talk with Mrs. (Cheryl) Pohl a lot and get to know her better. And, to top off the day, I found a twenty dollar bill on the floor and paid for our lunches with it.”

About a 125 students made the trip to Magic Mountain on two busses and three vans stopping in Bakersfield for fun and fellowship at fast food establishments. With 88 seniors on the senior trip less than 20 people attended classes on May 29. Others chose to stay home to study for finals.

Among those who attended the trip, Josh Risch, ?03, and Brian Casey, ?03, spent an hour to have their carictatures drawn as well.

Besides the bonding time that was shared, many became frustrated with the hot weather and the fact that the Deja Vu and X rides were closed the whole day.

“It was really hot when we went to Six Flags,” Kara Moser, ’03, said. “But it was still well worth it to be there. We rode on the water rides a lot just to get wet. I was kinda mad that some rides closed down early for maintenance repairs because those were the rides that I was really looking forward to.”

Others who did not go to Six Flags this year look forward to the trip next year with high hopes.

“I didn’t go to Six Flags this year with our school because I just got back from going with my church,” Michelle Nachtigall, ’04, said. “Our church went a couple of weeks ago and its not like there are any new rides to go on. Plus it is really expensive to go twice in one month. I can’t wait until next year though; it is going to be a lot of fun.”