Leadership implements new application process

In a new selection process, the student leadership class will take applications and conduct interviews to determine the members and officers for next year.

This change serves to narrow the size of the class and provide a team that better reflects the student body, according to leadership adviser Robert Foshee.

Next year’s student leadership group will be composed of 20 students: four class representatives for each grade and four ASB officers for the student body.

The admissions process is split into two procedures. Those interested in becoming a member of student leadership can apply to become either an ASB officer or a class representative.

Potential ASB officers need to fill out an application, be interviewed by a teacher and run in a school-wide election on May 7. Those eligible to run for ASB office must be rising juniors or seniors. Applications for ASB office are due Thursday, April 29.

The responsibilities of ASB officers vary according to position, but they all will act as liaisons between students, leadership and administration. The positions include president, vice president, treasurer and secretary.

Candidates for class representatives must submit an application and undergo an interview, but do not take part in an election. Applications for class representatives also are due on Thursday.

Anyone planning to apply for either ASB office or class representative must schedule an appointment for the interviews. Interviews for ASB officers will occur on Friday, April 30. For class representatives, they will be held throughout the week of May 3-7.

The new process for assembling the leadership team was conceived by Foshee and Robin Whitford, the other leadership adviser. They said that this method provides students with a choice for which peers they would prefer to lead in the coming year.

“This gives the choices of the student body to the students,” Foshee said. “It also allows them to discover their [candidates’] reason for running for office and why they want to be in leadership.”

The reasons behind the change lie in the belief, held by Foshee and the administration, that the leadership class needs a greater say from students.

“Last year we felt the school should have more of a voice for who represents them [students] and who is involved with the class,” Foshee said. “Through this, we put both those things together. Some of the students are picked and some are voted in.”

Applications are available from Foshee and Whitford. For more information on student leadership, read the April 20 article, Roller coasters, concert highlight Sadies.