• FCHS Cheer Tryouts - April 18-20
  • Boys Volleyball Senior Night - 4/18

Star Wars creates stir among loyal fans

As the deafening opening chord struck in the overflowing Edwards Theater, Star Wars fans rose to their feat, totally disregarding the safety of themselves and those around them. Pushing, screaming, and clapping profusely, the fans then grabbed their seats and let themselves indulge in the intoxicating movie magic of Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones on opening night, May 16.

“Aww man this movie was awesome,” Tim Haydock, ’02, said. “My friends and I loved every minute of it, and Padme was hot.”

Many fans of the movie series bought tickets and camped outside the theatre for a 12:01 a.m. showing. Spanning from the front to the back of the theatre, the diverse crowd featured at the event was?colorful.

“Man, hanging out with my friends on opening night was awesome,” Christopher Joseph Haydock, ’03, said. “We played the game of Life, Poker, and Star Wars Trivial Pursuit to pass the time and get us into the mood. The night went well except for a couple of free loaders who latched onto our table and would not let go.”

However, many fans were skeptical about Episode II after the sub-par script and acting featured in Episode I.

“The writing and acting in Episode I was awful,” band director and Star Wars fan Paul McEntee said, “I just wanted to punch that stupid kid who played Anakin because he was such a bad actor.”

However, this movie receives an 8 out of 10. With eye-popping visual effects and unbelievable land battles this movie satisfies the Star Wars fan and excites the average one. However, the chase scene through the capital world of Courascant was both redundant and unnecessary.

“I liked the movie but I felt it didn’t live up to the first three,” Nathan Yockey, ’03, said. “I think that the movies would be better if there was less computer graphics because that makes it look so fake.”

The development of the love interest of Padme Amidala and Anakin Skywalker left many fans disinterested as the dialogue was weak and plot slow. However Yoda’s unbelievable fight scene was awesome as Yoda bounced with passion and energy against evil Dark Jedi, Count Dooku. However, the last 30 minutes of the movie were quite possibly the best fight scenes ever featured in a Star Wars movie.

“I really like this movie, it is one of my favorite of the series,” Josh Justin, ’03, said. “My favorite part was when Yoda got down with his green self and looked like a green bouncy ball with ears.”

Tickets for Star Wars cost $8.75 after 5:15 p.m. and $5.50 for matinees. The film is rated PG and will run for an undetermined time throughout the summer.