New VP hails from college ranks

With the initiation of a new school year, students are getting themselves used to new teachers, revised rules and standards, and new administration. This year the student body welcomes the guidance of Vice Principal Jon Endicott.

The former six-year director of admissions at Fresno Pacific University comes to the FC campus with expectations of raising academic standards as well as connecting with students in order to further their college preparation.

“I hope to be able to foster a positive creative environment for the student body,” Endicott said. “At the same time I would like to take part in encouraging the student body to plan for college.” Endicott’s six years of experience at Fresno Pacific have given him the valuable know-how students will need when it comes to college application.

“He seems very competent and optimistic in class,” A.P. English student Nathan White, ’03, said. “Thus far one of the goals he has set forth for us is that we become prepared for the A.P. exam at the end of the year.”

Senior English teacher Molly Sargent, wife of former Fresno Pacific head basketball coach Jim Sargent, has been a long time acquaintance of the new V.P.

“At first I only knew of him through my husband,” Sargent said. “I got to know him personally when the yearbook began advertising with Fresno Pacific University. He is a very calm man and always follows through with his responsibilities. He brings a wealth of information as far as college admission and scholarship programs go, and I believe he will be a great advantage for the student body.”

The task of hiring a new vice principal had been set in progress at the beginning of April, around the same time that former V.P. Ginger Neimeyer resigned to pursue a publications position at The Peoples Church. Administration revealed that around 30 applications were accepted, and as many as 20 were interviewed.

“What set Jon Endicott apart from the other applicants, for one, was his ability to counsel,” Principal Gary Schultz, said. With the expansion of administration to include the deans, much of the responsibility of discipline is taken away from the V.P. so that he may focus his attention on more pressing matters.

“The V.P. position is now being directed more towards college guidance and advice for admission,” Schultz said.

As far as curriculum goes, Endicott taught freshmen English at Pacific, giving him the exact qualifications to teach A.P. English here.

“I understand the A.P. class here will be based on how Endicott taught the college freshmen at Fresno Pacific,” Schultz said.

A.P. English student Carli Albrechtson, ’03, remarked that she enjoyed how his class was structured similar to a college course.

“He wants to teach us to break from the traditional mold and establish our own writing style,’ Albrechtson said. “He also instructs us to analyze work, rather than simply restating things.”

Prior to Fresno Pacific, Endicott was on staff at Concordia University in Irvine.” “David Pohl” “With college teaching and administration experience behind him, Jon Endicott joined the FC staff in July as vice principal. During his six years at Fresno Pacific University, Endicott taught Introduction to Literature while he served as admissions director.” “” “” “