Personal account refutes religious stereotypes

It is human nature to want to hold a well-respected person in the highest esteem possible. Countless times, men, whether they be politicians, teachers or even parents, are put on a pedestal of sorts because of their great knowledge or accomplishments. Often, people forget the fact that those they hold in high esteem are, in most cases, just like them — with flaws and weaknesses.

In Mitch Albom’s newest book, aptly named Have a Little Faith, Albom uses the death of his childhood rabbi in order to illustrate this growing problem.

The story starts off in New Jersey, where Albom is asked by his former rabbi, Albert Lewis, to give his eulogy when the time comes. Albom is immediately buffeted by the question ‘Why me?’ and feels in order to eulogize a man so respected, he must get to know him first.

Meanwhile, near Albom’s home in Detroit, Michigan, a reformed convict named Henry Covington is trying to pull his life together.

Growing up in the shady part of Detroit, Covington knew nothing except crime, which Albom chronicles alongside Lewis’ story. At one point in his life, outside influences become so awful that Covington drops out of the sixth grade and turns to a life of drug-dealing.

Convington climbs the ranks of the underground drug circuit and soon finds himself a kingpin in his community. One night, realizing he has everything, Covington makes a life-changing decision and tries some of his own product. Covington becomes addicted and watches helplessly as his life spins out of control.

Finally, huddled behind some trash cans, wielding a shot gun and fearing for his life, Covington decides to commit his life to Jesus if God lets him live through the night.

Covington lives, sobers up, ditches the drugs and starts his life anew. He returns to school and before long is an ordained minister. Reconstructing an abandoned church, Covington devotes his time to the homeless and forgotten.

Back in New Jersey, Albom begins meeting with Lewis every time he is in the area. During these meetings, the two men discuss everything from God to the Great Depression and Albom comes to realize that the rabbi is more human then he thought, which makes him rethink his faith.

As a child, Albom would go to the synagogue to learn Jewish scripture and old Bible stories, and like most children, Albom grew to resent the time spent there.

Albom soon began to figuratively ‘run away’ from anything having to do with religion. With each visit with Lewis, however, Albom finds himself more and more open to religion and a relationship with God.

On a routine charity visit, Albom encounters Covington and his dilapidated church. The church, Albom discovers, has a ten-foot wide hole in its roof and multiple problems with its overall structure.

Lewis’s condition worsens and after a mix-up with his prescription drugs, Alboms feels the end for him is coming soon. While at the church, winter is approaching and with no heating system, Covington fears his beloved place of worship will not make it through the season. The title of the book comes into play as the characters attempt to solve their problems.

Although an interesting storyline is presented, the book, like any other, has its share of problems.

For one, Albom breaks the book up into four parts: spring, summer, autumn and winter. The actual story, however, takes place over many years. This choice by Albom makes the transitions between chapters choppy and at times confusing as to when certain events are happening.

Albom also seems to skip through a lot of his experiences with Lewis by only providing a few pages to every chapter. Each chapter only includes a brief synopsis to things Lewis and Albom discuss, such as death and heaven. It seems to me that a book which took eight years to make would be more than 250 pages.

Despite these irritants, Albom presents a book which breaks religious stereotypes people hold by bringing them down to a relatable level through the problems everyone faces, such as death. He claims that in the end, it really comes down to our relationships with those people, whether they be religious or not.

Have a Little Faith can be purchased at most local bookstores, such as Borders, for about $24. In the tradition of tithing, 10 percent of the proceeds will be given to charity.

For more book reviews, check out the Dec. 15 article, Supernatural novel transforms classic.