Vampire Weekend produces peppy sophomore album

Drawing roots from ’80s bands and African music culture, indie rock group Vampire Weekend, formed in New York in 2006, released their latest studio album, Contra, on January 12.

With the new project, the band attempts to follow up their first album, self- titled Vampire Weekend, and hits the ground running. Using vibraphones and electric keyboards, the band creates a unique and fun vibe that sounds perfect for a college dorm setting.

The album includes ten songs, most in the style of new band Owl City, meaning they create a happy-go-lucky feeling in the listener, like that of a carnival or beach scene.

In the spirit of love and beach, lead singer Ezra Koenig begins Contra with “Horchata,” a song expressing a weekend getaway with a beautiful woman. With lyrics such as, “Winter’s cold is too much to handle…/ pincher crabs that pinch at your sandals,” Koenig expresses his longing for the beach as his time there ends.

When hearing this, I can’t help but conjure up images of warm sand in between my toes, drinking a cool beverage, while watching the waves flow in and out.

“Cousins,” a polar opposite to every other song on the album, is a fast-paced and almost nonsensical tune. The piece allows drummer Chris Tomson to let go of the usual slow tempos he keeps with other songs and let fly on his snare drum while Koenig wails along with his electric guitar.

Koenig provides vocalized chirps, singing, “Me and my cousins and you and your cousins it’s a line thats always running!” The song, which lasts only a short two minutes and 25 seconds, is by far my favorite and was one of the first from the album to be released as a single.

I’ve heard my fair share of break-up songs from artists such as Blue October and Electric Lights Orchestra, but the final song on Contra hits the heart hard. “I Think Ur A Contra” makes its mark mostly in the talent of Koenig.

The shifting octaves and slightly depressing lyrics throughout this masterpiece made me ponder the highs and of relationships. Backed up with piano and guitar cords, Koenig gently sings, “Since we’ve both made up our minds/ I think you’re a contra and I think that you’ve lied.”

Although it’s an great project overall, Vampire Weekend’s new album falls short in only one aspect; originality. It seems the album follows the popular trend most indie rock groups tend to have, which is using an overall soft sound with vocals and instruments, accompanied by odd lyrics and vocal pitches.

In all, Contra chronicles life in a few short snapshots, ranging from peppy craziness to heartfelt grieving. Despite a absence of true innovation, those looking for an easy, pleasant listen should grasp at Contra immediately.

Contra can be purchased on iTunes for $9.99.

For more reviews, read the Dec. 17 article, The Killers produce sub-par Christmas single