'He's the Chick' plots comic relief

Filming for the first time, the class of 2013 will put on the production of “He’s the Chick,” a twist on the 2006 flick, She’s the Man. Their movie, along with the classes, will debut at Night of the Stars (NOTS), Feb. 20.

Taking on the challenges and disadvantages of first-time movie making, director Jordan Boudreau chose to lead his class due to his experience in video productions. He hopes to use early planning and focused filming to better re-create the movie.

“I had the idea for the movie and I’m planing on pairing it down by focusing on the four most important scenes,” Boudreau said. “The scenes that are probably going to make it [into the film] are the most funny and are the most important to the storyline.”

Though the director is confident, other classmates feel the common nerves and complications that occur with a class’ first movie. According to Chantelle Brown, a winning film entails experience, hard work and cooperation, resources she feels that her class lacks and may be detrimental to their chances of winning.

“I think the movie is going to be okay, but I have doubts,” Brown said. “They could’ve been more productive during filming. They should’ve written the scripts a week or so before and that way they could have focused more on special scenes. I don’t think it’ll win because we are inexperienced.”

Despite their inexperience, freshmen participants in the film feel an enjoyable and worthwhile experience matters more than winning first place.

“I don’t really care if I win an award, but I’d like to,” Brandon Porter said. “I’m just planning on having fun.”

In hopes of fulfilling his goal, Porter will portray a comical main character to better entertain his audience. Porter plays the character of Steve, the sister of Sarah, who pretends to be her while she heads off to a music convention.

“Since I am impersonating a girl by being the main ‘actress,’ the hardest part is that I’m going to have a girlish voice,” Porter said. “It’s going to be hard because I don’t want people to get tired of the fake voice.”

Since she only has a few lines, Rachel Quiring, playing the real Sarah, will help with the technical side of the movie as well. With the video productions experience that she brings to the table, along with Boudreau, she hopes for a successful awards ceremony.

“I hope we get as many [trophies] as possible,” Quiring said. “I think it’s a good experience to be involved. I’m acting and doing a little bit of the cinematography. Also, I’m participating because I’m in video productions and it just comes naturally.”

Though some freshmen fear their movie’s complicated plot may lower their chances of winning, Katherine Bennett hopes their movie will be viewed as a success for a beginner class.

“I’m an extra and I think [the movie] is going to be very good for a freshman video,” Bennett said. “I think the hardest part is going to be for the audience to understand the plot of the movie. In the end, I just hope that it turns out good in everyone else’s opinion.”

Night of the Stars from Tyler Duerr on Vimeo.

For information on other classes’ NOTS videos, visit the Jan. 26 article, Juniors plot ‘Twilight’ comeback and the Jan. 27 article, ‘The Pacifier’ holds hope for sophomores.