Basketball: A Pink Zone

The basketball program will utilize their sports skills to support breast cancer research. A portion of the admission collected from their game against Parlier on Feb. 2 will be donated to the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Pink Zone.

The players also are selling pink wristbands for $10 during this week and before the game. The JV boys’ and girls’ games will begin at 4:30 p.m., varsity girls’ at 6 and the varsity boys’ at 7:30. The cost is $10 at the entrance unless one has purchased a pink wristband from a team member.

The teams are partnering with an association called Pink Zone, which was established in 2007 to help raise awareness in women’s basketball on campuses and in communities.

The founder of Pink Zone, Kay Yow, former head basketball coach for North Carolina State University, battled the disease for three years and died in January 2009 after working toward the organization. Since 2007, over 1,600 teams have united to support the cause.

Head varsity girls’ coach Josh Tosland said the teams aim to inspire others through their participation in the organization.

“It is good to bring some awareness to our young people in hopes that they can be a support to someone who might need it,” Tosland said.

For freshman Chantelle Brown, a JV player, her team’s involvement strikes a personal chord.

“I had a teacher in elementary school who was affected by breast cancer,” Brown said. “That’s who I am playing for. This is an awesome opportunity to participate in such a great event.”

For more information, contact coach Josh Tosland and/or visit the Girls’ basketball sport shorts, 2009-10, Part II.