Acadec prepares for NYC trip

The allure of New York City captures the attention of many and some are seized with a desire to see this renowned city. The Big Apple’s calling has stretched across the nation and a group of campus students are planning to visit Manhattan Island. Nine students of the Academic Decathlon (Acadec) class will experience the sights and sounds of NYC on Oct. 9-14.

“The New York trip has a varied purpose,” Molly Sargent, Acadec coach, said. “The first is to bond as a team and help us be able to work together as a unit. Second, is for the students to be able to see this years art pieces in their original form, which can serve as motivation to study for the competition. I also want to show these students that there are opportunities outside of Fresno.”

A main purpose of the trip is to visit the city’s Metropolitan Museum of Art, where students will study the art pieces for the Acadec competition. The students will also take time to see the sights and experience the culture of the city.

“I am looking forward to going on the trip,” John Stevenson, ’04, said. “I have always wanted to see NYC. I am especially excited to see Ground Zero, the Empire State Building and Times Square.”

The Acadec team from Fresno High School will also join campus students on the trip.

“I am looking forward to Fresno High coming with us,” Kari Maddox, ’03, said. “It is a wonderful opportunity to meet and get to know new people. I am excited about forming new friendships with another Acadec team during the trip.”

Acadec was first founded in 1981 and through the years the competition has become one of the most respected high school academic competitions in the United States. The students compete in 10 different categories including art, economics, essay, interview, language and literature, math, music, social science, speech and Super Quiz, which consists of a study of the ocean.

“I really enjoy Acadec,” Maddox said. “It gives me a chance to study different topics that I wouldn’t normally study. Through the class, I am able to learn about new things and discover more things that I am interested in.”

The trip to NYC will reinforce this years Acadec theme of “Understanding the Natural World” and will provide the students with an opportunity previously not offered for a class of campus students. More information on The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, can be found at www.metmuseum.org. For information on New York City, visit www.nyc.com. To learn more about Acadec, visit www.usad.org.