Grossman nominated for Girl of the Year award

Every year students from across America battle it out over a multitude of scholarships. Some are awarded for merit, some for community involvement and some for high GPAs. There are a few, however, which take everything into account, including The Exchange Club of Fresno Girl of the Year.

The Exchange Club of Fresno focuses on the local community by improving the quality of life for men, woman and children. Each year, they ask high schools across the Valley to nominate a senior girl they believe best represents their beliefs and morals. This year, Elizabeth Grossman was nominated by principal Todd Bennett and academic advisor Molly Sargent.

“Elizabeth’s not only outstanding academically but she also challenged herself with a lot of Honors and AP courses,” Bennett said. “It’s her senior year and she has strong core classes in every period and some independently. It’s these things that influenced us when we were deciding who to nominate.”

Although Grossman is involved in both school clubs and AP classes, she says the nomination from her superiors surprised her.

“Being nominated was unexpected,” Grossman said. “I knew that in past years girls like Mary Sargent and Brittany Lauber had been nominated, but it never crossed my mind that I would be next.”

The Exchange Club will hold a luncheon in order to honor nominees on Feb. 11. In addition to Grossman, candidates from schools like San Joaquin Memorial High School and Sunnyside High School will attend. The luncheon will be held at the Ramada on Shaw Ave. Once there, Grossman will be able to meet with candidates and learn more about the award.

“I’m excited,” Grossman said. “I’m not entirely sure what to expect but I’m excited to see the other candidates and to learn more about the Exchange Club and the award.”

Grossman has not officially won, but with the nomination comes a plaque and a $100 check. The winner will receive a $1,000 reward.

“It would be really exciting to win,” Grossman said. “I have no idea what I’m up against but hopefully I’ll win. It seems people in Fresno have been successful with this so it may or may not make things a little more difficult.”

Both Grossman and her parents are invited to attend a banquet on Feb. 25 where the winner of the Girl of the Year award will be announced. Grossman may also attend a Regional Convention in Irvine, CA from June 25-27.

For more information, read the Feb. 4, 2008 article, Exchange club names Girl of the Year or e-mail Sargent.