Announcing crew covers games, gains skill

Golf coach Jeff Hopper has expanded his involvement in campus athletics to become the host of an announcing team with students, the first such enterprise in campus history.

In August, Hopper organized a team made up of students to broadcast sports games. Sophomores Austin Rurik, Trevor York and Josh Hopper have announced home football and basketball games since the beginning of the year.

From an early age, Jeff said he had aspired to become like the announcers he watched on TV. Through his involvement in high school sports, Hopper experienced announcing first hand.

“I had dreamed of being a broadcaster from the time I was about 10 years old,” Jeff said. “I paid close attention to the announcers on TV, radio and the games I attended. Finally, I started announcing senior year at Bullard High School. From there, it just came naturally. I eventually was able to announce at the Holiday Invitation Tournament down at Selland Arena.”

Jeff’s experience gave him the impetus to start an announcing team on campus. After getting the OK from the athletic department, he asked a few students to join him as announcers.

“I started with students who understood sports, had good voices and would be responsible on the mic,” Jeff said. “Then we talked about the different styles of announcing like play-by-play and emceeing. In the midst of the guidelines, the guys still express themselves differently through their style of announcing. I am really proud of how the guys have committed themselves to improving their skills.”

Josh appreciates working alongside his father in the group.

“I knew that, when my dad was in high school, he would always announce games; and they had a student announcing team, which was really cool,” Josh said. “It’s a lot of fun working with my dad because he put a lot of trust in me: He let me run the basketball announcing when he was out of town. At first I was a little shaky, but by the third game I really started to get it down.”

Despite being a three-sport athlete and a member of the jazz band, Josh says he is committed to his announcing.

“There is a big time commitment, but it’s well worth it,” Josh said. “After all, when I’m grown up, what am I going to remember? That I stayed home and got a 10 out of 10 on some homework assignment, or that we came back and won a game in the last minute? It’s not that I’m neglecting my school work, but I want to have good experiences during my time in high school.”

Jeff has had numerous funny experiences while announcing the home games, he said. One of his favorite moments occurred during a football game.

“Certainly the funniest moment was when my own son, Daniel [’10], recovered a fumble in about the third home football game,” Jeff said. “We had yet to call his name all season. That night Dr. John Lee was spotting for me. He said the number of the player who recovered the fumble, but it didn’t immediately register with me.

“I looked at my roster and it still didn’t register. I looked at Dr. Lee questionably and he looked back at me and said, ‘No. 67, your son.’ I chuckled, then called his name over the PA. It all happened in a matter of moments, but it seemed like a series of frozen snapshots.”

Head varsity basketball coach Chris Schultz views the announcing team as another outlet in which students can learn a unique skill.

“Coach Hopper has done a good job of bringing the whole community of Fresno Christian together through our games,” Schultz said. “A home game gives the opportunity for our athletes to play, the cheerleaders to cheer and our band to entertain. Coach Hopper has now given students the opportunity to showcase their skills by announcing.”

According to athletic director Cynthia Ward, the announcing team benefits both the students involved and the fans.

“I admire their dedication because, in addition to school and all their extracurricular activities, they are committed to attending all the home games,” Ward said. “It’s a benefit to all the fans who are there. I am thankful that Jeff Hopper was able to organize this team because it’s a win-win situation for the announcers and the fans.”

In the midst of many changes on campus, Jeff says he is honored to play a part in the making of something unique.

“So much has changed in the past year or so with the regard to the way Fresno Christian teams present themselves,” Jeff said. “It has been exceptional to join forces with coach [Bonner] Cunnings and coach Schultz, both of whom have been leaders in making their teams first about the spirit of God and displaying his work in them honorably.

“As a fellow coach, this helped me reconsider some of the emphasis we have had in golf. Plus, it takes being a fan of these teams to a whole new level.”

For coverage of the sports the team announces, read the Girl’s basketball sport shorts, 2009-10, the Boys’ basketball sport shorts, 2009-10, and the Football sport shorts, 2009.