Co-editor commands yearbook production

After three years spent working for various editors, senior Lauren Barisic now wields authority as co-editor of the 2009-10 edition of The Shield yearbook.

Along with co-editor Courtney Franz, ’10, Barisic works to perfect the annual publication. She cites experience and knowledge as the main qualities which enable her to lead the yearbook staff.

“I’ve been on the staff since freshman year, so I have been fortunate to be able to see what works and doesn’t work as far as editorial responsibilities go,” Barisic said. “I believe that drawing from experience and personal knowledge and realizing my own strengths and weaknesses, in addition to learning to take other people’s suggestions to better the cause of our book, have greatly helped.”

With a smaller staff relative to past years, Barisic said the students have had to assume greater responsibilities to produce a yearbook that still “accurately covers” the school year.

“Delegating the work is more difficult with less people,” Barisic said. “We end up getting a lot more pages, and staff members have more work individually. Many students don’t realize the extensive effort and countless hours put forth to ensure that their school year is accurately covered.”

Although the yearbook contains similar content year after year, Barisic asserts that even minor changes and events can significantly impact the work of the staff.

“When a school-wide trip is planned, a new club is formed or a formal date is changed from years past, no one considers how that will affect our layout,” Barisic said. “It is set before the end of the first quarter, but the satisfaction of a job well done becomes evident when we see the look on everyones’ faces as they flip through the pages of their own copy.”

However, Barisic does not face such challenges alone. Co-editor Franz said that the two are collaborating to create a better book.

“Working alongside Lauren is a great because she’s good at what she does and is really precise,” Franz said. “When I’m in sports I have to leave class early, and she helps me by doing lots of work. Me and Lauren are total opposites [sic]. Our personalities and yearbook skills are complete opposites, but it works out because we balance each other out.”

Yearbook adviser Brianne Raymer, who has overseen the staff of The Shield for two years, said that she appreciates Barisic’s consistent effort.

“What stands out most about her is that she is very detail-oriented,” Raymer said. “She is meticulous about the little things, like page measurements, font sizes and general design consistency. Her perfectionist approach to editing makes her someone I can always count on.”

Though bringing fresh ideas to the yearbook and taking numerous photos can present challenges for Barisic, she said she values the end result of her work.

“Some layouts tend to be challenging because of the needs each subject has, but I love the challenge of designing layouts,” Barisic said. “After you’ve been on staff for four years, it [yearbook] is always a rewarding task.”

The theme of the 2009-10 yearbook is “In Light of Many Hues.” According to Barisic, the staff plans to present the yearbooks to the senior class before the first day of senior trip while the rest of the student body will obtain theirs on May 28. Because the price of a yearbook is included in the cost of tuition, every student will receive a copy at the end of the year.

For more information, read the March 3, 2008 article, Senior editor polishes yearbook.