Sweet redemption in home opener

After watching the JV team shutout the Fowler Redcats, 13-0, in the home opener, the varsity team had the impetus for a repeat performance at Clark Stadium on Sept. 6. Having never before defeated Fowler, it would have seemed far-fetched to venture a lop-sided final score was imminent.

However, the Eagles dominated Fowler from the opening kickoff winning, 50-0. After Fowler fumbled on their own seven-yard line, the Eagles took advantage of the excellent field position and never looked back. Sam Fisher, ’03, assured that the opportunity would not be wasted, connecting with wide receiver Evan Sanders, ’03, for a 24-yard touchdown.

Overall, Fisher passed for 2 touchdowns and152 yards, while rushing for 33 yards and a touchdown.

“My receivers have been doing an excellent job of running routes,” Fisher said. “They’ve been consistent with their play on the field, and everyone is working hard.”

On the defensive side of the ball, the Eagles defense kept Fowler from moving the ball past the 50-yard line in the first half. The defense was able to constantly attack and make plays.

Fresno would have no problem maintaining their momentum from their first possession, scoring 14 points in the opening quarter.

The offense was well balanced, with six different players scoring touchdowns. Austin Livingston, ’03, turned in one of the most exciting plays of the game, returning an interception 41 yards for a touchdown with time running out in the first half.

“I was pleased when I intercepted the ball at the end of the half because it boosted my confidence as well as the teams momentum,” Livingston said. “The guys went nuts in the end-zone and we were penalized, but it was worth it.”

Fisher gave credit for the win to the offensive line.

“The offensive line is winning games for us.” Fisher said, “They provide great pass protection and are blowing defenders off the line. We are making great progress toward our team goal–a Valley Championship.”

The Redcats were held to only 47 yards of total offense and five first downs for the entire game. This is the second dominating win for the Eagles in two weeks. The Eagles beat Immanuel on Aug. 30, in a game that was not as close as the 18-13 score would indicate.

Coach John Hall was hoping his team would not have a let down after the emotional win over Immanuel.

“I was worried that the guys would look past Fowler, since we beat the toughest team on our schedule [Immanuel],” Hall said. “But that didn’t happen. The guys did a great job of staying focused.”

Hall was ecstatic about his teams play, giving praise to the offensive line and the defense.

“They [the offensive line] did a great job of keeping people off of Fish,” Hall said. “I didn’t mention to my guys in team meetings that we had never beaten Fowler. I just told them that we had lost a couple of close games to them in the last few years.”

Hall said he anticipates a tough match up with Farmersville on Sept. 13, and would like to get off on the right foot in Central Sierra League.