New student luncheon bridges gap

To help new students in their pursuit of knowledge and orient them to campus life, student leadership hosted a luncheon on Sept. 5 in the J.J. Room.

“Coming from a public school to a private school has made a big impact on me,” Anna Garner, ’06, said. “I am looking forward to a great school year and meeting fellow classmates.”

Nervous feelings, insecurities, and being out of their comfort zones are some of the feelings new students have experienced. With the luncheon, student leadership hoped to accomplish acceptance and a good safe environment for the incoming students.

“The new student luncheon is something that we as a leadership team have fun doing,” Lauren Taylor, ’03, said. “It gave us a chance to show the new kids that they are welcomed and accepted for who they are.”

This luncheon showed students Christ’s love and acceptance through the members of student leadership. Students in leadership brought an extra lunch to share and director Eunie McEntee’s crazy games provided the entertainment.

During the luncheon students competed to see who could eat their lunch the fastest. These games brought the students together and helped develop possibly long lasting relationships.

“I enjoyed seeing all the new students,” McEntee said. “The enthusiasm student leadership provided helped the new students feel more acquainted to the campus.”

This outreach has been held each of the past two years and this year there were 40 that attended the luncheon. The event bridged the gap between the unkown and familiar aspects of campus life.

“I think it was special that our school had a luncheon to welcome us,” Nick Ramos, ’05, said. “I was home schooled and coming here has been a gratifying new experience. I love it here.”

The next student leadership sponsored event is a dinner/movie night that will be hosted on Sept. 19 after the varsity girls’ volleyball game against Caruthers.