Simone provides laughs in fantasy film

Within the last decade a dramatic increase in the worship and glorification of the rich and famous can be plainly seen. In today’s fun-loving world, entertainers are treated as the highest form of personage in society. Director Andrew Niccol’s film, Simone, demonstrates this in a comedic way.

Niccol wrote the scripts for Oscar-nominated The Truman Show, along with Gattaca, and his artistic brilliance shines through once again in Simone.

Simone was released on Aug. 23 and grossed over 5 million dollars in its first two weeks. Al Pacino plays Viktor Taransky, a veteran film producer whose career has been rapidly deteriorating for the past 10 years. Taransky believes he is on the verge of recovering, with the release of his new film Sunrise Sunset, when his star actress Nicola Anders (Winona Ryder) bails on Taransky due to “”creative differences.””

Taransky’s luck worsens as his ex-wife Elaine Christian (Catherine Keener), who is conveniently the head of his studio as well, shows up and informs him that his career is over.

A dejected Taransky returns to his car and vows that he will complete his film. His dream unfolds before his eyes when he inherits a disk from computer genius Hank Aleno (Elias Koteas). The disc contains a computer program that produces a simulated beauty named Simone. Finally, Taransky has in his possession a perfect star who will bow to his every wish.

Played by Rachel Roberts, Simone re-establishes Taransky’s once dormant career into the Hollywood spotlight.

At first, Taransky is overjoyed with the newfound success of his films, but as the plot develops, he begins to recognize that his creation, Simone, is truly the one being idolized.

When Simone wins the Academy award for best actress and neglects to thank Taransky, he finally begins to realize that in his plight to expose the faults in the actors of Hollywood. He has only created another goddess for the masses to follow.

Later Taransky embarks on a mission to destroy the career of his beloved Simone, but only succeeds in making her more popular.

Throughout the film, Taransky’s actions are being monitored by Max Sayer (Pruitt Taylor Vince). Saver is an intrepid tabloid reporter who is striving to prove that Tarnasky is holding Simone hostage. Sayer is among the millions of Simone worshipers, and when the news about Simone is announced, he assumes the responsibility of proving Taranskys guilt.

Simone was an enjoyable film full of wise cracks and intelligible irony. Pacino makes the film great, with his subtle humor and exaggerated actions. But aside from the films’ comedic enjoyment, the message it presents is very true.

Simone receives a B for its delightful humor and wonderful acting. It is currently playing in theatres everywhere and is rated PG13 for some sensuality.