FC environment molds senior

Although attending Fresno Christian for 13 years was a long and difficult road, I now realize how truly blessed I am to be a ?lifer? at this amazing school.

Some things I loved about Fresno Christian are the opportunities for students to excel in their God-given talents. Activities like soccer, Night of the Stars (NOTS) and publications provided me with opportunities to improve in something I have a passion for that I will continue both in and after college.

After one year in publications, my camera work and editing improved immensely. I also learned how to be a better reporter and took away skills that I would not be able to gain in any other class.

From participating in the production of the NOTS movies, the outcomes were similar. But not only did NOTS make me a better filmmaker, it gave me the opportunity to create new relationships with fellow students who have been attending FC for several years. It is the unique opportunities like these that bring different people together.

Such was the case with soccer during my junior year. In the last home soccer game of the season, I broke my collarbone. I was rushed to the hospital, hoping to return to see the end of the game. By the time I arrived back on campus, the game had ended.

Immediately after, my teammates were alongside my car, telling me they prayed for me at halftime. Students coming from the game and other sports practices also came over to the car and they laid hands on me and prayed. These were people I see every day, but I hardly ever spoke to them and I had no idea they cared enough to be concerned about me.

This small accidental event made me realize how wonderful the community is at FC. Not only is it a Christian community, it is much like a family. People care about one another?s physical conditions as well as their spiritual conditions.

In addition, at that point in my life I was not attending church and had been going through some serious trials.

One of my close friends, along with another one of my class members, invited me to go to youth group with them to be prayed for and healed. I reluctantly went with them the next week and was healed, as they believed I would be.

As a result, I have become closer friends with that classmate and others in my class and have been attending youth group twice a week ever since.

However, the students do not make up the entire FC community; the faculty and staff members also held an important role in my growth on campus.

Over the 13 years of my enrollment at FC, I have had the privilege of being taught by teachers who love God and care about their students. Not only have they taught me academics, they have taught me what it means to be a person of integrity.

The way the teachers live is an example of how I want to live: to be honest, loving and respectful. Their hard work and love for their jobs is inspiring to me. Some of them set aside extra time for us students because they care about our success. I know they are always there for me to talk to about anything, whether it be a matter about class, something spiritual or something personal.

I have gotten to know a few of the teachers very well over the years, making them more than teachers in my eyes. They are respected mentors, role models and friends that I will remember long after I graduate. These people have made an enormous impact on my life and the rest of the FC community.

By attending FC for so long, I believe the opportunities provided and the positive Christian atmosphere have made me the person I am today.

For more senior reflections, read the May 18 column, College presents unparalleled opportunities.