• FCHS Cheer Tryouts - April 18-20
  • Boys Volleyball Senior Night - 4/18

Campus pauses to pray for nation

The smoke has cleared and the rubble, representative of the attempted destruction of liberty’s ideals, has been removed. The routine familiarity of daily American existence has somewhat returned.

But on the anniversary of 9/11, the campus gathered for nearly forty-five minutes of prayer and reflection.

Heads were bowed as music set the tone for the reflections of students and teachers.

Campus pastor Scott Falk called for prayer for grieving families, the political leaders of the United States, and American churches in general.

“It was important for the campus to come together for a memorial service,” Falk said. “If we don’t stop and remember then the loss and suffering doesn’t have the impact on us to turn to God in our lives.”

It was immediately obvious that most students had not forgotten the intrusion into the normalcy last year.

“A lot of people remember because it broke the hearts of so many,” Shawna Miller, ’06, said. “It helped us come closer to our families because you never know when something tragic might occur.”

While some reflected on memories, others realized the changes in everyday life of America.

“I think our country is more aware of other countries’ troubles,” Jenny Ficklin, ’04, said. “We are more considerate of others and now we know that the world doesn’t revolve just around America.”

In the aftermath of the attacks, many churches felt that their mission has been revitalized.

“I think the evangelical part of church has become more aware,” Jesse Madsen, ’05, said. “They are more concerned with reaching out to those who don’t have Christ in their lives.”

For many, the time of silent reflection was used to rethink their opinions of America itself.

I’m optimistic about what is going to happen in America,” Ryan Cain, ’03, said. “God has a plan bigger than we can imagine. I’m satisfied trusting in Him.”” “Sheree Temple, Photographer” “With the whole high school geared to remember a nation in mourning on the anniversary of 9/11, students prayed for national leaders and the families of the victims on Sept. 11 in Ground Zero during a special chapel.” “Sheree Temple, Photographer” “Campus students and staff gather together one year after the tragedies of Sept. 11 in Ground Zero. This memorial service transpired differently than most without flags or banners, ribbons or wristbands. While American citizens waved patriotism in many different forms on this anniversary, campus students like Melissa Morris, ’03, and Collin Tally, ’04, take action and pray for victim’s families and national leaders. No speeches or songs were necessary during the service. ” “