Modern Warfare 3 improves on Call of Duty legacy

In 2007, the gaming world was forever changed by the release of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. The graphics were unbelievable, the campaign plot captivated the hearts of millions and many people just got plain addicted. Never before had a person been able to run off of the hood of a car, spin four times, randomly shoot into a wall and kill somebody.

In 2009, records were broken by the release of Modern Warfare 2. More copies were sold in the first week than of any other game in history. Players could now jump off the top of a four-story-building, throw a knife at the sky, spin five times, wave their 20-pound rifle around like an idiot, shoot from the hip, have the bullet go through two walls and kill three people all in the process.

But then, on Nov. 8, records were mended and then re-broken with the release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. The game continues the tradition of offering three different game modes (Campaign, Multiplayer and Special Operations), but an improvement was made in each feature.

The Campaign picks up right where Modern Warfare 2 left off: with Captain John Price and informant “Nikolai” rushing Captain John “Soap” MacTavish to medical attention after being stabbed at the end of the previous game. They reach a safe house and Soap receives medical attention.

After a mission in New York, the game snaps back to India, where Russian Ultranationalist leader Vladamir Makarov is leading an attack on the fleeing Task Force 141 members. The player must fight his way out, leading Price, Nikolai and the injured Soap to an escape helicopter. This level is pretty unrealistic, as is the entire campaign.

The game flashes back to Price, Yuri and the now-healthy Soap tracking Makarov’s chemical weapons to Somalia, where they fight through villages to a church where the weapons are being picked up. As they arrive, a helicopter is taking off, carrying an enormous shipment of chemical weapons — used to jumpstart World War 3.

The next level is a bit random, as the player is FSO agent Andrei Harkov, on the same plane as the Russian President Boris Vorshevsky. The plane is hijacked by Russian Ultranationalists, and, after a brief fight, the plane is crashed and attacked by ground forces. After this skirmish, the president and his daughter are kidnapped by Makarov.

Though I’ve only glanced over a few of the many missions Modern Warfare 3 has to offer, I can tell you this: the Campaign was just awesome. The story was well thought out, the graphics were great and it was just thoroughly enjoyable. The main critiques I have are that it was not very realistic and it was really short; I finished it in about four hours of playing. Despite this, I still thought it was pretty cool.

The Special Ops Mode, returning from the prior games, is completely revamped. Now, instead of just having single missions, there’s a new game style called Survival Mode.

The best way to describe it is the Zombies mode from Call of Duty 5 and 7, but with normal people instead of zombies. Also, there’s different kinds of enemies like juggernauts, helicopters, suicide bombers and more. It’s the perfect blend of Call of Duty fun, especially when playing alongside a friend. This is my favorite feature, as it requires a player to use a level of strategy and teamwork that is unlike anything Call of Duty has required before.

Along with Survival Mode, there are Special Op missions, a staple in the Modern Warfare series. The missions include a mix of objectives, from rescuing hostages to defusing bombs. Despite the overall idea being used in previous games, there is a new twist that makes playing quite refreshing.

Once again, the Multiplayer Mode returns as the most popular aspect of the game. Equipped with completely new class customizations, this mode is the most changed of all. With completely new class customization, the Multiplayer Mode is a whole new aspect of the game.

Although I may be slightly biased towards the Call of Duty franchise, I can say in all honesty that this is the best video game I’ve ever played in terms of graphics, the reality that it doesn’t get boring and its overall fun factor.

I still think that Modern Warfare 2 has the most fun Multiplayer Mode, but its successor is definitely more realistic. From perks to maps, the entire experience capitalizes on strategy and teamwork.

I would suggest this game to any player who doesn’t mind violence. Modern Warfare 3 is rated M for Mature, so be sure to check with a parent or guardian before purchasing.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is available on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, PC and Nintendo DS.

For more game reviews, read the Dec. 9 article, Simulated driving in Fresno: RaceRoom (VIDEO).