Martial artist pursues black belt

After four years of karate training, sophomore Juan Ruelas is half-way to his goal of becoming a black belt by senior year. Along with the struggles and embarrassments he has faced on his journey, Ruelas has learned life skills that will benefit him in the future, he says.

Driving by Mile High Karate sparked a curiosity in Ruelas. Boredom was the impetus for him to try something new, he says.

“Toward the end of 6th grade, I wanted to just do something,” Ruelas said. “I would always just go home and do nothing. Then one day, we drove by a karate place and I decided to give it a try.”

Ruelas, who will be testing for his blue belt in the upcoming weeks, gleans wisdom from different black-belt holders. His typical training routine concludes with a ‘mat chat’ with a black belt.

“After warming up and stretching, we spend 30 minutes practicing our technique,” Ruelas said. “It can be quite a workout when you are going hard and trying to hit your stances correctly. After that, we have what’s called a ‘mat chat,’ where a black belt comes out and gives us an uplifting talk about leadership or some other aspect of our life.”

Upon arriving at class, Ruelas must clear his mind from outside distractions.

“We always say, ‘This is karate time, so don’t bring anything from the outside in here,'” Ruelas said. “It’s not the time to be crying about who just broke up with you. It’s all about focusing on karate.”

Mile High Karate instructor Daniel Perez understands the value of learning karate. Having started at the age of six, Perez is now an accomplished 3rd degree Black Belt in American Kenpo Karate.

I teach karate because of the benefits people gain from doing the martial arts, Perez said. For kids, it’s a life-changing experience. They learn skills such as focus, self-discipline, patience, respect and proper manners. It leads up to the point where they learn to set goals and be a strong, successful leader.

Perez was named the Grand Champion for Black Belt Self-Defense at the Long Beach Internationals tournament. Having been into karate for 16 years, he knows the strengths and weaknesses of his students.

“Juan’s motivation to excel is what stands out,” Perez said. “He’s always excited and willing to learn to increase his skill. I admire his perseverance on getting closer to becoming a black belt — he’s half-way there!”

“Physically, he needs to slow down some and relax with his moves. He tends to go too fast when he gets excited. We are still working on his patience, but it’s getting there.”

Like most sports, karate has brought it’s share of embarrassing moments for Ruelas.

“I was sparring two opponents during practice,” Ruelas said. “One struck out and grabbed hold of my kenpo (karate uniform). He pulled it half-way off so my bare chest was showing. I’m not the most chiseled guy, so it was pretty embarrassing. The worst part was that the girl I asked to NOTS was watching.”

Over the years, Perez has noticed growth in Ruelas’ confidence and leadership.

“I’ve seen Juan grow in many ways with his confidence, especially,”Perez said. “He’s not afraid to speak in front of the class or help teach other students. He anxiously answers questions or volunteers when there is an opportunity. He has learned to be more humble as well.”

Throughout the years, Ruelas has witnessed many friends drop out of karate class. Their sudden departure has damaged his relationships, he said.

“One of the most difficult things is when the people I have grown up with throughout the years suddenly leave,” Ruelas said. “They never come back to class and I feel devastated. We bonded with each other every week for years, and then they just leave. It leaves you with a heartbroken feeling.”

Although others may quit, Ruelas is determined to reach his ultimate goal of becoming black belt by his senior year.

“There is a saying we are taught that goes like this: ‘How long does it take the average person to become a black belt?’ It’s a trick question because when you become a black belt, you’re no longer an average person,” Ruelas said.

For more information, check out Mile High Karate’s website.