ASB announces homecoming plans

Instead of at the usual location of Clark Intermediate, Fresno Christian will host its first homecoming at the new football field and stadium, Oct. 22.

Homecoming events will be held throughout the week of Oct. 18-22. Annual traditions include the King Dance, the Queen Pageant and the Princess Pageants.

In previous years, homecoming themes have ranged from TV shows to the various regions of Disneyland. This year, the theme will be holidays; each class will represent a special day on its float.

During chapel period on Sept. 16, classes met to determine their topic for floats and to nominate students for the homecoming court. Freshmen, sophomores and juniors voted for the princesses of their class, while the seniors selected potential kings and queens.

The results of the nominations are being tabulated and will be released during the announcements, Sept. 17.

Student leadership advisers Robert Foshee and Jane Gillespie will be coordinating homecoming with the ASB officers and representatives. Because this is the first year homecoming will be held on campus, Foshee predicts that the leadership team will encounter some obstacles.

“It’s going to be difficult because this is our first year doing it,” Foshee said. “It’s a blessing that we’ll be out there, but we’re still going to have the growing pains of figuring out how to set everything up and how stuff works — but they’ll be good growing pains.”

The holiday theme originated with Foshee and was made official after the leadership class voted for it over 15 other proposals. Because the theme is versatile, Gillespie predicts that students will be able to construct successful floats, she said.

“I think it’s going to be awesome,” Gillespie said. “Think of all that you can do with it. There’s so many different and fun holidays and traditions.”

For photos of class meetings, check out Voting for royalty, Christmas is in the air, Full of ideas and The final vote. For coverage of past homecoming events, read the Oct. 6, 2009, article, Homecoming redefines Disneyland themes.