'Friday Morning Football' spotlights FC program

For KFSN ABC 30’s “Friday Morning Football” segment, a crowd of students, parents and teachers assembled in the FCS Gym at 5:30 a.m. to showcase school spirit and publicize the new football field, Sept. 17.

Field reporter Christine Park and her crew intermittently broadcast live from 5:45 to 6:30 a.m. The jazz band, cheer squads and football teams were featured, along with shots of the maroon and black crowd.

Friday Morning Football is something we started doing a few months back because we felt like we needed to get out in the community, but specifically with young people,” Park said. “This was a way for us to highlight the positive. We know that our viewing area is huge, and within that there are a lot of schools that are really special.”

Athletic director Cynthia Ward contacted Park to arrange the event, which constitutes the second segment in the series this season. This is the first time ABC 30 has broadcast Fresno Christian, Park said.

Senior Kory Thompson, captain of the high school cheer squad, led cheers and stunts throughout the morning, while senior Andrew Evans, captain of the varsity football team, organized responses from the players. Both Thompson and Evans were interviewed during the segment.

At several occasions throughout the morning, the jazz band performed songs for the station. After senior Sydney Carlson demonstrated her enthusiasm with a drum solo, the crew highlighted the senior percussionist.

“Playing in front of thousands of people was nerve-racking and thrill-racking all at the same time [sic],” Carlson said. “I was excited to be able to show off a little bit, but at the same time I was terrified that I was going to mess up and throw the whole band off.”

In addition to the high school and junior high teams, the youth football players and young cheerleaders were featured for the segment.

“I came so I could be on TV,” Annabelle Messer, 3rd grader, said. “I had fun. It was fun being on TV, and I liked doing the cheer. It’s cool that our school is on TV.”

Once the program ended at 6:30, Bible teacher Robert Foshee led prayer outside at the field’s 50-yard line for attendees.

“Starting off the football season in prayer was meaningful because we were all blessing our new field and team, as well as the other teams,” Katherine Bennett, ’13, said. “I think it unites the school and shows us the strength we can find in each other.”

Amid all the fanfare, Park sensed the community atmosphere of the school, she said.

“Obviously some schools are a lot bigger in size. However, in terms of school spirit, you guys are right up there,” Park said. “What really impressed me is that you guys had everybody from the little youth football kids and the cheerleaders to boosters to … it looked like some grandparents were here. It’s a great atmosphere!”

Following the event, attendees were invited to a free pancake breakfast in Ground Zero.

For more photos of the event, check out Quick snap, ABC visits FC, Limelight preparation and On the air. To watch the segment, check out the story on ABC30.com

Mary Hierholzer, Nick Avery and Ashley Ward also contributed to this article.