Senior reveals artistic flair

On top of extracurricular activities and a full class schedule, senior Ashlyn White explores a passion for art in her spare time.

Since she was in junior high, White has developed an interest in art. She would look throughout her grandmother’s house for pieces that her mother, Beth White, had created.

“Art is something I have been around all my life,” White said. “Art isn’t like most hobbies; it’s not stressful. It’s a way for me to get away from the real world and just focus on something that I love and am passionate about.”

Art teacher Sharon Scharf has observed White’s aptitude for innovation, and believes that she — like her sister Katie, ’09 alumna — has the ability to take materials around her and create a unique masterpiece.

“I thought her sister Katie was creative — she came up with some really neat projects. But I think Ashlyn outdoes her sister,” Scharf said. “Ashlyn has the talent of seeing art in stuff that creatively makes a truly unique and beautiful piece of art.”

After producing her artwork, White entered some pieces into The Big Fresno Fair Art Gallery, the Clovis Veterans Memorial District show and the Recycle: Repurpose & Restore art show held at Sierra Vista Mall. She received a second place ribbon at The Big Fresno Fair.

Despite the large crowds and the level of competition, White said that she feels confident about the work she entered.

“I’m not really nervous about any of the competitions,” White said. “In the Fresno Fair, the public views the pieces as well as the judges. But, at the Clovis Veterans Memorial, I go against more adults and professionals, which exposes my art piece to more people. In this contest I think I will be able to come in the top three winners.?

After working on it for three weeks, White completed a collage titled “Pray For Our Troops.” The piece will be displayed in the Clovis Veterans Memorial art show, Nov. 1-11.

White drew inspiration for this work from her grandfather. Through this piece, she aims to recognize those who volunteer their lives for America, she said.

“The inspiration of the flag came from my grandfather, who taught math to the men in the Air Force,” White said. “This fine piece of art is to pay tribute to those who have lost their lives serving our country and those risking their lives now.?

When it comes to art projects, White believes she can take ordinary materials and transform them into creative pieces.

“I think ‘One man’s trash is another man’s treasure’ is a true statement,” White said. “If someone thinks a rotted piece of metal is junk, then another person might see the true value of the article and create something beautiful out of it.”

For more information on art, read the April 19 article, Freshman honored in Congressional Art Competition.