Cornfield maze honors liberty

Utilizing extreme concentration and calculated guessing, participants brave the fall heat, dehydration and exhaustion while attempting to conquer the 1 1/2 miles of corn in The Maize.

This year, Cobb’s Ranch is sponsoring the Cornfield Maze near the 41 freeway at the San Joaquin River and the field has been transformed into the shape of the Statue of Liberty surrounded by an American flag. Corn Cops are placed throughout the maze to keep participants from cutting through the corn and performing other mischievous actions.

“You really get to know people because you end up seeing them many times,” Adam Francher, Corn Cop, said. “It’s great to see people get lost and wander around aimlessly for hours.”

The Maize has corn 10 ft. high so there is little possibility of seeing over the corn in order to quickly end the relentless struggle. However, The Maize attracts students and children of all ages.

“I have fun watching my friends harass the Corn Cops and other people,” Chris Burford, ’04, said. “You have to go at night so you can ditch your friends and yell and scream as you run through the corn.”

According to Maize officials, most participants take over one hour to complete the maze.
With five mazes in California, and over 200 nationwide, The Maize has become the largest cornfield maze company in the world. However, not all participants enjoyed the experience.

“It’s really boring,” Jen Smit, ’03, said. “You end up seeing the same people 20 times, and walking around in circles for hours. I’ve been once each year and the only reason I go is to hang out with my friends.”

The Maize opened Sept. 21 and runs through Nov. 3. While the main attraction is the maze, Cobbs Ranch offers special activities running throughout the week, such as hayrides and a pumpkin patch.

The Maize charges an $8 entrance fee for persons 12 and older and $5 for children 11 and under. The Maize opens at 6 p.m. and closes at 10 p.m. Thurs.-Fri. It opens at 10 a.m. on Sat., and 1 p.m. on Sun, and closes both nights at 10 p.m.

Fancher said Cobb’s Ranch encourages people to go out to the Cornfield Maize and find out why getting lost means finding fun.