Supermarket trip broadens Spanish education

The Spanish II class explored the aisles of Vallarta Supermarket, an authentic Spanish market, for a field trip on Nov. 16.

Students were given a guided tour by Carmina Vazquez to learn about Hispanic food and culture. Afterward, they were able choose from 32 different Spanish dishes to eat for lunch.

Spanish teacher Beatriz Foth has taken her students to Vallarta Supermarket for several years so they can taste and experience foods from Hispanic countries and communities.

“Supermercado Vallarta is a wonderful place to take the kids to see the great variety of foods and meats and everything you don’t see in other supermarkets here in the Unites States,” Foth said. “It’s a unique experience, because on the tour we will be able to sample some of the food we learn about. They have food from El Salvador, Mexico and Costa Rica.”

Before the trip, students were given a menu of the supermarket’s offerings so they could plan their lunch.

“I got the quesadilla with rice and beans, and it was amazingly awesome,” Ashlyn Key, ’13, said. “I didn’t really want a big meal or anything, so I didn’t get any meat in it; but the cheese was melted perfectly and had great flavor.”

Through the field trip, Foth hopes her students will see how Hispanic countries have affected American culture, she said.

“It’s good to see how so many countries — not just Mexico — have influence on the way we eat here,” Foth said. “There is Hispanic influence not just in the food but in music, arts and even politics.”

Spanish III student Jeff Roseth, ’12, will attend the same trip with his class at 12:35 p.m. on Nov. 30.

“I’m pretty excited, because I have never been to a Spanish supermarket before,” Roseth said. “It will be a different experience, and we get to go deeper into the Spanish culture.”

For more information on Vallarta Supermarkets, visit the Fresno location at 4831 E. Butler Ave. For coverage of last year’s trip, read the March 3 article, Supermarket hosts Spanish II.