Club instructs aspiring guitarists

IT Director David Martens established the Guitar Club, adding to the newly created clubs on campus, to teach students basic guitar skills and chords.

Martens founded the club because he knew that many students want to learn guitar but do not have the opportunity, he said. This group gives aspiring guitarists an introduction to the instrument.

“I have been playing the guitar for about 36 years,” Martens said. “It is a beautiful instrument that anybody can learn easily. It is one that you can learn fast, but you can also spend a whole lifetime mastering it.”

After four years of playing the guitar, worship team member Elora Hargis, ’14, decided to join the club to improve her skills.

“I am going to join the Guitar Club,” Hargis said. “I have been playing the guitar for four years on and off, and I think Guitar Club will be a good opportunity to get free lessons.”

Freshman Eric Cowin views the club as an opportunity to learn and associate with other guitarists who share his love for the instrument, he said.

“I am interested in joining the club,” Cowin said. “I think that it would be great to talk about the guitar to people who love to play just as much as I do.”

Art and home economics teacher Sharon Scharf plans to join the club even though she only knows a few basic chords.

“I think the Guitar Club is great,” Scharf said. “I will not only learn to play the guitar, but it would be fun to get together with students as well [sic].”

In addition to reaching new levels of expertise, she hopes to recapture the enjoyment of guitar from her college years.

“When I was in college, we all got together and played the guitar and sang,” Scharf said. “Whenever I play the guitar, it brings back those memories, and I want to learn more about it.”

The club meetings will be held every two weeks during lunch on Wednesdays. The first meeting was held on Dec. 8, and the next will be held on Jan. 19.

For more information on Guitar Club, e-mail Martens. For more information on campus clubs, read the Dec. 1, 2010 article, Music director heads Ukulele Club.