Freshman forward exhibits vitality, passion

As she has played soccer for the past six years, freshman Mikayla Messer chose to join the varsity girls’ team to continue her growth in the sport.

Although Messer has participated in other sports such as volleyball and tennis, soccer remains her favorite activity for its intense atmosphere during games.

“Soccer is my favorite sport,” Messer said. “I like other sports like tennis and volleyball, but soccer is better for me because it is more intense. Also, there is not a net to separate me and my opponent. It is a very physical sport.”

Due to the wide range of physical contact in the sport, Messer has received several injuries over the years. Despite pain, the freshman chooses to persevere on the field.

“I broke my fingers and toes a couple of times,” Messer said. “I broke my ankle in fifth grade, and it has been extremely weak ever since; sometimes it will give out and it hurts a lot, but I try to tough it out. There was a time when I got a heat stroke. I almost collapsed on the field, so I had to come off, but other times I got through it and still tried my best.”

Ever since Messer’s father, Matt, introduced her to soccer at age 8, she has looked up to his guidance in the sport. According to Messer, he is proficient in soccer and is always by her side when she needs support.

“I really look up to my dad,” Messer said. “He played when he was in high school, so he has a lot of experience and skills. Not only that, but he always encourages me to push myself and do my best.”

Last year, as a junior high student, Messer played soccer on the FC team and also on a club team outside of school. She considers the experience a valuable time to undertake challenges and competition.

“Last year, I decided to play soccer on a club team,” Messer said. “It was way more competitive, and the coaches were harder on me. So the club team really helped me a lot, in my opinion.”

Soccer coach Michelle Rose, ’08 alumna, regards Messer as an enthusiastic asset whose attitude brightens the team. In addition, Rose appreciates the skills and leadership mindset that the freshman brings to the field.

“Her positive energy and personality are a great addition on and off the field,” Rose said. “There is never a dull moment with her on the team. She is a great forward and manages to get the ball in the back of the net. She has stepped up as a freshman leader, and I cannot wait to see how she develops in the years to come.”

The team’s goalie, fellow freshman Annalise Rosik, treasures the experience of having Messer as a teammate and loves her bright personality. According to Rosik, this positive attitude keeps the rest of the team in high spirits as well.

“Mikayla keeps a positive attitude throughout practices and games,” Rosik said. “She makes me and the other teammates laugh even through hard times.”

Due to her passion for soccer and desire to continue, Messer plans to remain on the team and enjoy the sport for as long as she is able to do so.

“I absolutely love soccer,” Messer said. “I am definitely going to play for our team for the next three years, and I will continue to play as long as I can.”

For more information on the varsity girls’ soccer team, read the Girls’ soccer sport shorts, 2010-11. For more sports profiles, read the Nov. 10 article, Haritzalde fortifies team, exhibits personal growth.