Standardized testing: A strategic approach

Standardized testing. In the minds of many students, this term conjures images of never-ending exams, stress-inducing anticipation and future-determining consequences. While some of these conceptions are debatable, the ugly truth is that standardized testing matters.

By taking the SAT, the ACT, AP Exams, SAT Subject Tests or any other examination, students have opportunities to prove their knowledge and skills. If that’s not a compelling reason to take tests, most colleges require that applicants take them anyway.

When it comes to standardized testing, each grade tends to hold a unique perspective. For freshmen, it’s more or less a nonissue. For sophomores, it’s on the horizon. For juniors, it’s entering the mind. For seniors, it’s always on the mind.

But students in any grade can adopt a favorable attitude toward testing to improve performance.

Instead of dreading those early-morning sessions, students can approach exams in a healthier manner. Planning ahead and preparing accordingly can make standardized testing much less of a harrowing experience and much more of a routine occurrence.

Rather than wait until fall of senior year, students should register to take some tests during junior year. They should know what tests they need to take to apply to their colleges of choice. By completing exams throughout their high school years, instead of taking them all during senior year, students can have more time to prepare and can get more familiar with the tests.

While standardized test scores aren’t the most important aspect of a college application, they may be the easiest to change. Toward the end of her high school years, a student can’t change the classes she’s taken or the grades she’s received. But she has the potential to improve her scores on standardized tests — and that’s why they matter.

For more opinions from The Feather staff, read the September editorial, Capitalize on community service.