Fresno Ballet dances swan song

Stereotypical visions of tutus and classical music are blasted away in the light of the Fresno Ballet’s new rock ballet, set to the music of Pink Floyd. In an effort to connect to a younger audience, the ballet company is showcasing their talents in this in-studio performance.

The show comprises of dances set to some of Pink Floyd’s most famous tunes. The Fresno Ballet’s artistic director, Christopher Doyle, created original choreography for the production.

Props are stark, but this only contributes to the raw feeling of the music. A single spotlight beams sharply onto the floor, and as the dancers leap and swirl, their shadows form graceful patterns on the wall.

The beats and angst of rock and roll find their perfect compliment in the graceful movement of ballet. This presents an interesting dichotomy, as the beauty of ballet makes a surprising compliment to Pink Floyd’s troubled lyrics. Dancers twist and writhe with the music, and when a dancer lifts free from the torment in a floating leap, the audience’s collective spirit leaps with them. The result leaves the audience longing for more.

The cozy setting of the dance studio makes the ballet that much more intimate. Sitting in the front row, I was close enough to reach out and touch the dancers. Being near enough to see their sweat and feel the vibrations of their jumps leaves the audience with a greater appreciation for the demands of dance.

In the grand tradition of Fresno’s Tower District, artists and patrons mingle freely. After the performance, the dancers were grouped in the lobby, laughing about their dance and greeting their audience members. The whole affair has a feeling of informality about it.

Unfortunately for the city, the Fresno Ballet is on the brink of closure. Unless more money is raised quickly, they will close at the end of the year. Donations are sorely needed.

Tickets are $12 each, with a special buy four, get one free sale. The ticket price includes free refreshments. Performances will be held at 7:30 on Feb. 10, 11 and 12 at the Fresno Ballet studio at 1401 N. Wishon. You may purchase tickets by calling 233-2363.

For more information on the ballet, visit www.fresnoballet.org.

I would encourage everyone to take advantage of this opportunity; it may be the last performance the Fresno Ballet ever has.