Soccer Eagles finish season 13-2

With only minutes remaining in the Valley Championship title match, one thing dominated the players? minds: victory. With a final thrust, junior Kim Bimat launched the ball towards the goal. But as the goalie dove, the ball ricocheted off the cross bar.

The varsity girls? soccer team finished the season with a record of 13-2. Yet the Eagles headed off to the Valley Championship having high hopes, with only one loss to Fowler blemishing the record.

In a game that was reminiscent of the past Valley Championships, FC met Central Valley Christian on Feb. 24 in Visalia for the 2005 version that proved every bit a nail-biter as previous championship matches against Templeton.

However the Eagles fell 2-1 to the Cavaliers to keep them without a Central Section Division V championship since the 2000 team defeated Templeton by the same score.

FC opened the scoring in the first half as junior Ashley Sherr scored her 64th goal of the season in the fourth minute (new Central Section record) and the Eagles led until 16 minutes left in the second half.

After CVC?s Chelsey Wilgenburg tied the game, the teams traded chances and Eagle keeper Christina Cabias, ?07, made five spectacular saves to keep the game even (nine saves overall). Then a controversial penalty was called in the 68th minute and CVC?s Abby Vanette scored on the ensuing penalty kick.

However, the Eagles did not roll over and quit. The team pressed the Cavaliers and had numerous chances to score including Bimat?s shot that just grazed the bar with four minutes left.

The game proved to be much different than a Dec. 6 preseason match when CVC defeated the Eagles, 7-3.

FC finished the WSL season with a 13-2 record and 21-8-1 overall.

?We did an awesome job throughout the season,? Ashley Sherr, ?06, said. ?Next year, I think we will be just as good.?

Robert Foshee, soccer coach, was pleased with the outcome of the year and with the team?s progress through the season

?The team played well this year; they really came together and played as a team,? Foshee said. ?They practiced hard and played hard. Next year, if we work just as hard, they could have another chance to win Valley.?

Sherr is the first athlete in section history to score more than 60 goals in a season and scored 173 goals in her high school career.

?It is cool that I have made that many goals,? Sherr said. ?It is a great feeling and I?m honored.?

The soccer team played at home against Parlier to open the Division Five Valley Championship on Feb. 17. The Eagles took the game 4-1. After the win, the team braced themselves for Fowler in the semi-final round on Feb. 22.

Their 3-1 victory against Fowler brought the Eagles to a chance to win Valley. The Eagles went to CVC for the title game of Valley Championships on Feb. 24.

?It was a very exciting game,? Bimat said. ?The team worked hard and we really pushed and played our best. We came a long way and improved every step we took.?

In the Valley Championships, the Eagles took a 1-0 lead and kept the score frozen for the first half. But as the end drew near, CVC defeated the Eagles, 2-1.

?The team did great this year,? Foshee said. ? We had fun and what more could you ask for, other than to win??

For more information about girls? soccer contact the high school office at 299-1695 or contact Foshee at [email protected].