The tooth dilemma: A most unusual experience

This is the seventh installment in an occassional series outlining the most unusual experiences of the FC community.

As children enter adulthood, they may expect a few changes to their appearance. Often times these adjustments leave a person feeling self-conscious and slightly embarrassed, and I am not the exception. As a normal teenager, I constantly deal with acne, the annoyance of facial hair and the occasional BO problem after a workout.

On top of these things, I deal with something most teens will have to tackle at some point: braces. These wiry menaces contort my features and constantly cause irritation and chagrin. Due to these braces, teeth have been pulled, skin has been removed by lasers from my gums and I have lost track of the countless visits to the orthodontist’s office I hold on my dental record.

Up until a few weeks ago, the topic of braces had flown over my head completely. Braces had become the norm in my life, much like getting dressed in the morning or going to bed when I am tired. It was not until my orthodontist, Dr. Keith Berryhill, informed me I would need to get another tooth pulled in order to correct my alignment that I began to think of how my braces had really played a part in my adolescence.

As I walked into the oral surgeon’s office, I could smell the sterility of the room and could already taste the pain-numbing drugs in the back of my mouth. Over the course of the last four years, 13 of my teeth have been pulled: 10 baby, two wisdom and one adult. I figured this tooth (the adult) would be the same as the previous twelve, and mentally prepared myself for the gut-wrenching scene which would unfold over the course of the next hour.

To my surprise, the entire operation was relatively painless and tranquil. The surgeon pumped a numbing agent into my gums, and within five minutes the tooth was out. Now I could look forward to ice cream and the movie of my choice for the rest of the day.

Back at home, I could not help but reflect on the stress and pressure put on my teeth for the past couple of years. Braces offered my life restrictions, such as limited eating and strenuous brushing and flossing habits. They caused me to be awkward around girls and anything having to do with a camera, and gave me such pain that sometimes I wished I could be allowed to take pliers to them.

Although braces have played a role in my past, they also hinder some of my plans for the future. The plans I refer to are something most seniors look forward to: senior pictures.

I am the kind of person who absolutely abhors tacky school photographs, and I think braces just make the pictures cheesier. This presents a problem to me, as I have recently learned that, instead of getting my braces off this summer, my treatment will continue well into my senior year.

Of course, this means that, for my senior yearbook photo, I will be wearing my braces. Another dilemma stems from this situation, due to the fact that I have never — not once — exposed my metal-clad teeth to the brilliant flash of the oversized camera bulb. My situation means that when I look back 10 years from now, I cannot see myself with a natural smile, but rather with a disheveled one.

Now, I am not meaning to complain about my experience with braces. My orthodontist has been more than helpful, spending many hours of work clamping, bolting and twisting my teeth to perfection. My main intention is to highlight an experience many teens go through and use my narrative as an example.

Sure, my ordeal has been an arduous one, but my reflections on it provide me with insight. Braces have helped me develop many character traits, such as patience. Whether it be through hours spent waiting in the orthodontists office or the years of work put into the well-being of my mouth, braces have taught me that it will be worth it in the end.

Another tidbit I have learned is that there are certain times when one must accept what has happened and move on. I trust that my orthodontist knows what he is doing, and by the end of my journey, my teeth will be straight and amazing. No amount of complaining or wishing will make my teeth move faster, so really, what is the point?

With the blueprint for straight and flawless teeth drawn up, and development four years and counting, I can only wait for the day when the metal contraption is freed from my mouth and I can once again enjoy movie theater popcorn and smile whenever I see a camera.

For more experiences, read the Oct. 28 article, D.C. trip enhances historical perspective. Or read the sixth most unusual experience: The deer hunter.