Planeteers support Operation Christmas Child

The newly founded Planeteers Club is making an effort to lead the high school’s involvement in Operation Christmas Child, a program of Samaritan’s Purse.

For years, only FCS elementary students have had the opportunity to fill shoe boxes for the project. However, as the club has gained momentum, members helped to bring this service project into high school territory.

In the past two weeks, the club has held two fundraisers to raise money for the program. Members generated sufficient funds from bake sales to buy supplies for 16 shoe boxes, which they filled on Oct. 30.

Sophomore Jessica Healy, a member of the Planeteers Club, said the fundraisers were an effective way to support Operation Christmas Child.

“I think the bake sale fundraiser was a really good idea,” Healy said. “It make a lot of money because people like eating home-baked goods. We’ve gotten money from the bake sales, and we’ve been able to fill a lot of boxes.”

Although the Planeteers Club has prepared several boxes already, members hope for their efforts to motivate others to participate.

“I think it’s a really good opportunity to put a smile on someone’s face,” Healy said. “When one of those kids opens a box, they know someone actually cared enough do it for them. You feel satisfied and happy because you know you are making someone else happy. That should be enough to motivate you to do it.”

To get involved, students can pick up empty boxes and lists of suggested items in Room 608. Once prepared, the boxes should be brought to Room 608 as well.

Next week, the club will hold another bake sale to pay for shipping and processing for boxes.

For more information on Operation Christmas Child, read the Oct. 26 article, Operation Christmas Child impacts Moldovan. For more information on Planeteers Club, read the Aug. 31 article, Senior duo launches Planeteers Club, or check out Going green for Christmas and Dollar toys.