Yen Ching offers buffet-style Asian cuisine

For years, my family has enjoyed dining at Yen Ching Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge for dinner and lunch.

Although we previously enjoyed meals at another Chinese restaurant, that venue’s food easily became expensive for a large family. We decided to try out a new option with reasonable prices, and Yen Ching fit the bill.

The Chinese restaurant, located near Fashion Fair Mall, serves authentic cuisine for great prices, keeping my family coming back for more.

As guests walk into the restaurant, walls embellished with Oriental artwork stand out. The decorations provide a very authentic yet casual aura in the room.

The buffet, which is accessible to all seats throughout the restaurant, fills the room with various aromas, such as that of chow mein and seasoned chicken.

Toward the left side of the room lies a cocktail and ice cream bar. The sushi bar is my favorite aspect due to its wide selection of properly-prepared sushi rolls.

The buffet bar consists of chow mein, pork dishes, chicken dishes, seafood platters and many Chinese salads to accompany the main courses. The food is cooked with traditional spices, which match the atmosphere.

After patronizing this restaurant for years, I have determined my favorite combination of options: vegetable chow mein, spring egg rolls, orange chicken, spicy chicken and sushi. I usually get sweet and sour soup to accompany this and indulge in the steaming-hot food.

The orange chicken smells sweet, but has a sour kick when I bite in. When I eat the spicy chicken, I am able to taste the sereno peppers, making it extremely spicy. Although the sweet and sour soup has a pungent smell, the sweet aspect is very defined in the actual flavor.

When it comes to sushi, I usually apply a strip of light pink ginger to tone down the strong fishy smell and flavor. With a sprinkle of hot oil and soy sauce, the balanced taste satisfies my taste buds.

In addition to these items, Yen Ching offers a variety dishes on their standard menu with American food for those who do not like Chinese food. The price for a lunch buffet is generally $7.95, but the dinner price, effective after 5 p.m., is $4 more.

While enjoying my food, every so often my waitress stops by to ensure that my experience is the best. I am satisfied with the service, since I never have to wait for food.

Yen Ching Restaurant always satisfies my craving for Chinese food, and the atmosphere is pleasant and inviting, keeping me coming back for more. The variety and economic value of the amount one receives make Yen Ching an ideal location for meals.

Yen Ching is located on 67 E. Shaw Ave. and can be reached at 559.222.6223.

For more food reviews, read the Jan. 28 article, Guadalajara boasts homemade Mexican fare, hospitality.